Know UPSC CDS Syllabus 2018 to prepare for it. Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts Combined Defence Services (CDS) Exam, an exam to recruit / give admission to aspirants for Indian Military Academy, Officers Training Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Indian Air Force Academy. Exam for IMA, INA, AFA has general knowledge, elementary mathematics, english. Exam for OTA has general knowledge, and english. UPSC defines CDS exam syllabus in notification. Get here exam pattern for UPSC CDS 2018, syllabus, good books for UPSC CDS 2018.
UPSC CDS Syllabus 2018
CDS Exam is conducted as CDS 1 and CDS 2. There are Written Examination and Interview round. The written examination comprises of multiple choice questions which needs to answered on OMR sheet. There will be negative marking for incorrect answers.
In order to perform well at the entrance exam, one must study according to the syllabus and marking scheme. The paper will be divided into different sections namely- English, General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics. The standard of elementary mathematics will be same as the level of Matriculation in Elementary Mathematics. In other sections, the level of exam will be what should be for a graduate.
Complete UPSC CDS Syllabus 2018
It will assess candidates’ basic grammatical skills and vocabulary.
The paper will contain questions pertaining to ongoing events globally, scientific aspects, History of India and Geography of nature.
- Number System—Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers.
- Fundamental operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division,
- Square roots,
- Decimal fractions.
- Unitary method,
- Time and distance,
- Time and work,
- Applications to simple and compound interest,
- Profit and loss,
- Ratio and proportion,
- Elementary Number Theory—Division algorithm.
- Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 11.
- Multiples and factors.
- Factorisation Theorem.
- H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm.
- Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
- Basic Operations,
- Simple factors,
- Remainder Theorem,
- H.C.F., L.C.M.,
- Theory of polynomials,
- Solutions of quadratic equations,
- Relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered). Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns—analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear inequations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or inequations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions.
- Set language and set notation,
- Rational expressions and conditional identities,
- Laws of indices.
- Sine ×, cosine ×, Tangent × when 0° < × < 90° Values of sin ×, cos × and tan ×, for × = 0°, 30°, 45°, 60° and 90°
- Simple trigonometric identities.
- Use of trigonometric tables.
- Simple cases of heights and distances.
- Lines and angles,
- Plane and plane figures,
- Theorems on:
- Properties of angles at a point,
- Parallel lines,
- Sides and angles of a triangle,
- Congruency of triangles,
- Similar triangles,
- Concurrence of medians and altitudes,
- Properties of angles,
- Sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square,
- Circles and its properties including tangents and normals,
- Areas of squares,
- Triangle and circle.
- Areas of figures which can be split up into these figures (Field Book),
- Surface area and volume of cuboids,
- Lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders,
- Surface area and volume of spheres.
- Collection and tabulation of statistical data,
- Graphical representation frequency polygons,
- Bar charts,
- Pie charts etc.
- Measures of central tendency.
Good books for UPSC CDS 2018
There are numerous books available for the preparation of UPSC CDS Entrance Exam and some most reputed ones are mentioned below in the table:
|S.No.||Section||Name of book||Publisher/Author|
|1||English/GK/Elementary Mathematics||Kit for CDS Exam
(For IMA, OTA and Air Force)
|Dhillon Group of Publications|
|2||English/GK/Elementary Mathematics||Pathfinder CDS||Arihant Publication|
|3||English/GK/Elementary Mathematics||CDS 10 years Topic-wise||Disha Publication|
|4||English/GK/Elementary Mathematics||Chapter-Section wise Solved Paper of CDS Mathematics/English/General Ability||Arihant Publication|
|5||Elementary Mathematics||Mathematics for C.D.S. Entrance Exam||R.S. Aggarwal|