Union Public Service Commission or UPSC time to time release notification for various posts to fill in vacancies for civil services in India. Union Public Service Commission also conducts exam for Combined Defense Services and notifies for the same on the official website. So candidates interested in Combined Defense Services should check out UPSC CDS (2) 2018 Exam Pattern, Syllabus to get the overview of the same. Exam Pattern will include a number of papers, mode of the examination, time window, syllabus etc. Hence, It will help the candidates to plan accordingly for their preparation. Check the detailed information of UPSC CDS (2) 2018 Exam Pattern, Syllabus below.
UPSC CDS (2) 2018 Exam Pattern, Syllabus
UPSC CDS Examination consists of a written test which is followed by Interview for intelligence and personality test. Check the detailed information below.
Exam Pattern for UPSC CDS includes the number of papers, mode of examination, total marks, time duration etc.
For Admission to Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy.
For Admission to Officers’ Training Academy
Papers for all the courses in UPSC CDS in written examination will be multiple choice question. Hence no descriptive paper is there in this exam. The question paper for General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics will be set in Hindi and in English as well.
- There will be penalty (Negative Marking of 0.33 Marks) for wrong answers marked by the candidate in the objective type question papers.
- If a candidate has marked more than one option for the same question then that question will be considered wrong with a negative marking of 0.33 Marks
- If a question is left blank i.e. no answer is given by the candidate, there will be no penalty for that question.
- Maximum marks allotted to the written examination and Interviews will be equal for each course ie. the 300, 300, 300 and 200 each for admission to the Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers’ Training Academy respectively.
- Questions involving the metric system of Weights and Measures only will be set, if anywhere applicable in the question paper.
- Candidates will not be provided with the scribe in the examination hall. Candidates have to give examination with their hands only.
- Qualifying marks for some or all courses in UPSC CDS will be set by the commission.
- Candidates will not be allowed to use calculator inside the examination hall.
- Candidates have to mark the answers with black ball point pen only.
Interview for intelligence and personality test
Candidates after clearing the written examination have to appear for an interview to complete the next level of the selection process. The interview consists of two stages ie candidates who will qualify stage-1 will appear in stage-II.The personality of a candidate is assessed by three different assessors ie.
The Interviewing Officer (IO), Group Testing Officer (GTO) and the Psychologist.
- Stage-I comprises of Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests are Picture Perception*
Description Test (PP&DT).
- Stage-II Comprises of Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests
and the Conference.
Final Selection / Merit
The merit list will be drawn on the basis of marks obtained by the candidates in the Written Examination and Interview/Personality Test.
After checking the exam pattern candidates are advised to check out the detailed syllabus for UPSC CDS as notified by the Union Public Service Commission. Syllabus generally includes Elementary Mathematics till Matriculation level and standard of other subjects is set to the gradation level.
This paper includes an understanding of English language and its usage.
General Knowledge including knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The paper will also include questions on History of India and Geography of nature which candidate should be able to answer without special study.
Number System—Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers. Fundamental operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal fractions. Unitary method, time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation. Elementary Number Theory—Division algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 11. Multiples and factors. Factorisation Theorem. H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm. Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M., Theory of polynomials, solutions of quadratic equations, Relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered). Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns—analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear inequations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or inequations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions. Set language and set notation, Rational expressions and conditional identities, Laws of indices.
Sine ×, cosine ×, Tangent × when 0° < × < 90° Values of sin ×, cos × and tan ×, for × = 0°, 30°, 45°, 60° and 90°. Simple trigonometric identities. Use of trigonometric tables. Simple cases of heights and distances.
Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on (i) Properties of angles at a point, (ii) Parallel lines, (iii) Sides and angles of a triangle, (iv) Congruency of triangles, (v) Similar triangles, (vi) Concurrence of medians and altitudes, (vii) Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square, (viii) Circles and its properties including tangents and normals, (ix) Loci.
Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle. Areas of figures which can be split up into these figures (Field Book), Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders, surface area and volume of spheres.
Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation frequency polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts etc. Measures of central tendency.
Official Website: www.upsc.gov.in