Candidates preparing for Civil Services must pay attention to UPSC Civil Services 2019 Eligibility Criteria. Candidates who want to appear for this examination have to first check whether they are eligible to appear in the examination or not. The eligibility criteria of UPSC Civil Servies 2019 covers age limit, the nationality of the candidates, minimum education qualification that one must possess, etc. So, if you are planning to apply for IAS exam in February 2019 then do check the eligibility criteria in advance. All the necessary criteria related to this examination are being given here on this page for the candidates to check that they meet all the requirements.
UPSC Civil Services 2019 (IAS) Eligibility Criteria
It is important that the candidates who want to appear for UPSC Civil Services Exam should check all the necessary and important eligibility criteria before filing the application form so that their application doesn’t get rejected after the application process.
Eligibility Criteria for IAS 2019
UPSC has set three parameters upon which the candidate should come as an eligible candidate. We are providing here all the requirements for the reference of the candidate. For more information regarding the eligibility, they can check the official notification on the UPSC website.
Nationality: For each post, the nationality differs and is as follows:
- For Indian Administrative Services (IAS) and Indian Police Services (IPS), it is necessary that the candidate should be of Indian origin only.
- For the rest of the services offered by the commission, it is required that the candidate should be a national of either: India OR Nepal OR Bhutan OR a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- The candidate of Indian origin is eligible to apply who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Note: The candidates who are from Nepal, Bhutan and are Tibetan refugee are not eligible to apply for Indian Foreign Services (IFS).
Age Limit for IAS 2019:
The candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and should be less than 32 years old, on the 1st of August, 2018. This means, that the candidate must be born between August 02, 1986 to August 01, 1997.
The upper age relaxation limit for applicants belonging to the category are as follows:
- Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST) – 5 years
- Other Backward Classes (OBC) – 3 years
- Defence Services Personnel – 3 years
- Ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs – 5 years
A maximum of 10 years will be given to the candidate in the case of
- blindness and low vision
- deaf and hard of hearing
- locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy
- autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability and mental illness
- multiple disabilities from amongst persons under above clauses including deaf-blindness
Educational Qualification: A candidate must hold a degree from any of the recognized Universities or possess an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates who are appearing for the degree examination and are waiting for the result are also eligible to apply for the Prelims. These candidates, if qualify for the Main examination has to produce the proof of the result along with their application for the Main examination. Those who fail to produce the proof will not be allowed to take the examination.
- Candidates possessing professional and technical qualifications which are recognised
by the Government as equivalent to a professional and technical degree would also be eligible for admission to the examination.
- Candidates who have passed the final professional M.B.B.S. or any other Medical
Examination but have not completed their internship by the time of submission of their applications for the Civil Services (Main) Examination will be provisionally admitted to the Examination. They should submit along with their application a copy of the certificate from the concerned authority of the University/Institution that they had passed the requisite final professional medical examination.
Physical Standards: A candidate who wants to appear for the UPSC Civil Services Examination should be physically fit according to the physical standards set by the Commission.
Restrictions on Applying for the Examination
UPSC has set some restrictions in applying for the Civil Services examination. Candidates should check whether they are coming under those restrictions to avoid any hassles in the application process.
- A candidate who is already appointed to the post of Indian Police Service (IPS) through the previous examination result and is currently serving is not eligible to apply for the exam.
- Candidate for the post of Indian Administrative Service (IAS) or Indian Foreign Service through the results of an earlier examination also are not eligible to apply for the examination.
Number of Attempts for UPSC Civil Services?
Every candidate who is appearing for the UPSC Civil Service Examination will be entitled to a maximum of 6 attempts. However, there is some special concession in the number of attempts to those belonging to the reserved categories.
- For candidates belonging to SC/ ST category, there is no restriction on the number of attempts.
- For OBC candidates, there will be a total of 9 attempts.
- Persons with disability belonging to the General Category will be eligible for nine attempts.
It is recommended that the candidate should be clear with respect to all the eligibility requirements before applying so that they do not face any difficulty after the application process is over.