WBCS 2022 – West Bengal Public Service Commission conducts the West Bengal Civil Service (Executive) exam every year to recruit aspirants for the posts in the cadre of West Bengal Civil Service (Exe.) and other posts. The WBCS preliminary examination will be held at various locations in Kolkata on May 20, 21, 22, and 24, 2022. The admit card for WBCS 2022 prelims examination is now available at wbpsc.gov.in. The WBCS exam is conducted in two stages: Written Examination including Preliminary and Mains exam, and the Personality Test stage. Read this article to learn more regarding the WBCS 2022.
Latest: WBCS preliminary exam admit card is now available. Download Here
West Bengal Civil Service Exam is conducted for various vacancies like Assistant Canal Revenue Officer, West Bengal Junior Social Welfare Service, West Bengal Police Service, etc. Candidates must know all the details regarding the schedule of the examination to prepare for each stage of the examination adequately. We have provided the complete schedule of the WBCS 2022 examination in the table below.t
|Release of Notification||26 Feb 2022|
|Application window opens||03 Mar 2022|
|Application deadline||24 Mar 2022|
|Application Form Correction||01-07 Apr 2022|
|Release of Prelims admit card||27 Apr 2022|
|Prelims exam date||20, 21, 22, and 24 May 2022|
|Prelims result||To be announced|
|Release of Mains admit card||To be announced|
|Mains exam date||To be announced|
|Mains result||To be announced|
|Release of Personality Test call letter||To be announced|
|Personality Test date||To be announced|
|Final results||To be announced|
The WBCS examination is conducted every year to shortlist the best candidates for some of the most prestigious professions in various departments of the Government of West Bengal. Candidates must understand the nature of the WBCS examination before beginning their exam preparations. An overview of the WBCS 2022 exam is tabulated in this article.
|Name of the Exam||West Bengal Civil Service Examination|
|Conducting body||West Bengal Public Service Commission|
|Frequency||Once a year|
|Last conducted in||2021|
|Key Stages||Written Examination (Prelims round and Mains round) and Personality Test|
|Application fee||Rs 210 + service charge|
|Mode of application||Online|
|Mode of exam||Offline|
WBCS 2022 Preliminary Exam Date
WBCS 2022 Syllabus
The WBCS exam syllabus is vast, hence, candidates must ensure that they have studied every topic under the syllabus. The syllabus of the WBCS 2022 exam is provided below.
It is an objective-type exam consisting of only one paper named ‘General Studies’. The syllabus of the General Studies paper is given below.
- English Composition: Idioms and Phrases, Synonyms and Antonyms, Vocabulary, Spellings, etc.
- General Science- The candidate is expected to have a general appreciation and understanding of the science.
- Current events of National and International Importance
- History of India: Important events related to the social, economic, and political aspects of the History of India.
- Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal: Questions regarding the social, economic, and physical geography, especially prominent features of the Indian Agricultural and Natural Resources with a special reference to West Bengal are asked.
- Indian Polity and Economy: Questions related to the Indian Political system,
Panchayat Raj system, Community Development, and Planning system in India are asked.
- Indian National Movement: Nineteenth-century resurgence, the growth of nationalism during the freedom struggle, and the attainment of Independence in the year 1947.
- General Mental Ability: The candidate’s logic and reasoning ability are tested.
- Bengali/Nepali/Urdu/Santali/Hindi: Letter writing of about 150 words, Report writing of about 200 words, Précis writing, composition, and translation from English to Bengali/Nepali/Urdu/Santali/Hindi.
- English: Letter writing of about 150 words, Report writing of about 200 words, Précis writing, composition, and translation from Bengali/Nepali/Urdu/Santali/Hindi to English.
- General Studies-I: Indian History with an emphasis on the Indian National Movement, and Geography of India with a reference to the state of West Bengal.
- General Studies-II: General science, current affairs, environment, and scientific & technological advancement.
- Constitution of India, Indian Economy, and roles and functions of the RBI (Reserve Bank of India).
- Arithmetic and Reasoning: Logical Deduction, Series, Analogies, Odd man out, Mathematical puzzles, etc.
- One optional subject can be chosen from the list of subjects given below.
Bengali, Hindi, Sanskrit, English, Pali, Arabic, Persian, French, Urdu, Santali, Zoology, Comparative Literature, Statistics, Agriculture, Sociology, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Psychology, Anthropology, Political Science, Botany, Physics, Chemistry, Physiology, Civil Engineering, Philosophy, Commerce & Accountancy, Medical Science, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Economics, Management, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Geography, Law, Geology, or History.
WBCS 2022 Exam Pattern
The official notification of the WBCS exam contains details regarding the WBCS exam pattern as well along with other details. Candidates must know about the exam pattern to understand the nature of the exam. The exam pattern of WBCS exam is given below.
- Preliminary round
- Type of exam- Objective-type
- Subjects- Indian Polity and Economy, Indian National Movement, English Composition, Current events of National and International Importance, History of India, Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal, General Science, and General Mental Ability.
- Maximum marks- 200 marks
- Number of questions- 200 questions
- Duration- 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Mains round
- Type of exam- Objective-type for 4 compulsory papers, Descriptive-type for optional papers and language papers
- Subjects- Bengali/Nepali/Urdu/Santali/Hindi, English, General Studies-I, General Studies-II, Constitution of India, Indian Economy, and roles and functions of the RBI (Reserve Bank of India), Arithmetic and Reasoning, and one optional subject.
- Maximum marks- 1600 marks for Group ‘A’ and Group ‘B’, 1200 marks for Group ‘C’ and Group ‘D’.
- Duration- 3 hours for each paper
- Personality Test
- Marks for Group ‘A’ and Group ‘B’- 200 marks
- Marks for Group ‘C’- 150 marks
- Marks for Group ‘D’- 100 marks
WBCS 2022 Preparation
Aspirants who wish to tackle the WBCS 2022 exam successfully need to form a solid preparation strategy for the exam. We have provided some preparation tips in this article so that candidates can prepare for the exam in the most effective manner.
- Stick to a few reference books- Rather than referring to many reference books while studying for the exam, stick to a selective few books. For example, for the Indian Polity subject, stick to only Laxminath’s books.
- Read newspapers- Since a large portion of the WBCS papers constitutes current affairs and general knowledge, candidates must be well-versed with the overall background of India and West Bengal. Read newspapers such as Yojana and the editorial section of the Hindu newspaper. Watch the discussions of Rajya Sabha on the news.
- Clear the basics- Before using additional reference books, candidates must be clear about the basic concepts first. For this purpose, candidates must use the NCERT textbooks of standard XI and XII to clear most of the topics which fall under the WBCS syllabus.
- Solve mock tests and practice papers- Solve papers from previous years which are available on platforms such as Youtube or by clicking the ‘Download Previous Year Question Paper’ option on the homepage under the ‘Examination’ category. You can also refer to competitive exam practice test sets by Rakesh Yadav and Kiran Publications to practice for the exam.
- Form a time management strategy- It is important to form a time management strategy during exam preparations as well as during the exam. Toppers have suggested that aspirants must study at least 5-8 hours daily to tackle the exam successfully.
WBCS 2022 Admit Card
The Commission releases the WBCS admit card 2022 during every stage of the exam. The admit card can be downloaded by visiting the official website of the Commission and clicking on the ‘Download Admit Card’ option for written tests and the ‘Download Call Letter’ option for Personality Test/Interview on the homepage.
The admit card contains various details about the exam such as the roll number of the candidate, the exam center, reporting time, parents’ names, etc. Candidates who are unable to carry the admit card to the examination center on the date of the exam are not allowed to appear for the exam. Candidates must carry relevant identification documents with them along with the admit card on the date of the exam.
WBCS 2022 Exam Center
WBCS Preliminary round and mains round is conducted in various centers. The list of preliminary exam center is listed below:
WBCS 2022 Notification PDF
The Commission will hold the West Bengal Civil Service (Executive) etc. Examination, 2022. The WBCS recruits aspirants to fill positions in the cadre of West Bengal Civil Service (Exe.) as well as certain other services and posts. Online applications will start from March 03, 2022 on the official website. The last date for submission of application & fees online is March 25, 2022. The edit window for WBCS 2022 application will open from April 01 to 07, 2022.
WBCS 2022 Eligibility Criteria
To be able to appear for the examination, candidates have to fulfill the eligibility criteria prescribed by the Commission. Failure in fulfilling the eligibility criteria automatically leads to rejection of the candidate’s application. Candidates can check the eligibility criteria of the examination mentioned below.
|Group A and C||21 years to 36 years|
|Group B||20 years to 36 years|
|Group D||21 years to 39 years|
WBPSC provides some benefits to the backward classes. The age relaxation according to each category is given below:
|Person with Disabilities||Upto 45 years|
- A bachelor’s degree
- Ability to read, speak and write Bengali (Candidates whose mother tongue is Nepali are an exception)
WBCS 2022 Application Form
Candidates can apply for the WBCS exam only through online mode. Candidates who haven’t registered themselves before on the official portal must register themselves through One Time Registration on the official website. A user ID and password shall be generated after the registration process is complete. Those who have already registered themselves can use their user ID and password to log in and can fill the application form by clicking the ‘Apply Now’ button. Candidates must upload the relevant documents to complete the application process.
During the application procedure, the application fee must be paid. The application fee of the examination is given below.
|General /OBC||210 +(Service charges)|
|ST/SC of West Bengal and PWD||Exempted|
WBCS 2022 Answer Key
After the commencement of the examination, the official body releases the tentative answer keys for the WBCS examination. Candidates can download this answer key by clicking the ‘Answer Key Response’ option on the homepage and clicking on the direct link of the WBCS Answer Key. they can raise objections against the answer key by paying the prescribed amount of fees and uploading necessary documents during the stipulated period. Candidates can use this answer key to calculate their tentative score scored during the examination.
WBCS 2022 Result
The results for the West Bengal Civil Service exam are displayed in a merit list format through a PDF document on the official website. Candidates can simply click on the ‘Results’ button on the homepage to access their WBCS results. The result displays the roll number, category, and name of the candidate. In case of a tie at any stage between two or more candidates, the decision of the Commission is final.
WBCS 2022 Selection Procedure
The WBCS exam is conducted in two stages, namely, Written Examination and Personality Test. The Written Examination is further divided into two stages- the Preliminary stage and the Mains stage. The detailed selection procedure of the examination is given below.
- Preliminary round- This round is a screening test consisting of objective-type questions. The total duration of the exam is 2 hours and 30 minutes with a weightage of 200 marks in total. Candidates have to attempt 8 compulsory papers.
- Mains round- Once candidates clear the preliminary round, they are eligible to appear for the Mains round. It consists of 6 compulsory papers and 1 optional paper. Each paper lasts for 3 hours. The exam is of both objective and descriptive format. Candidates who score more than the cut-off marks are eligible to appear for the Personality Test round.
- Personality Test/ Interview round- The interview round carries different weightage of marks for different stages. The marks of the Interview round are considered while assigning the final ranking to the candidate. After this round, aspirants are assigned to their respective posts based on their performance.
WBCS offers a great salary. The posts and salary are listed below:
(i) West Bengal Civil Service (Executive): PAY LEVEL :16 (56,100 – 1,44,300)
(ii) Assistant Commissioner of Revenue in the integrated West Bengal Revenue Service :
PAY LEVEL : 16 (56,100 – 1,44,300 )
(iii) West Bengal Co-operative Service: PAY LEVEL : 16 (56,100 – 1,44,300 )
(iv) West Bengal Labour Service : PAY LEVEL : 16 (56,100 – 1,44,300 )
(v) West Bengal Food and Supplies Service :PAY LEVEL : 16 (56,100 – 1,44,300 )
(vi) West Bengal Employment Service [Except the post of Employment Officer
(Technical)] : PAY LEVEL : 16 (56,100 – 1,44,300 )
GROUP – B
West Bengal Police Service : PAY LEVEL : 16 (56,100 – 1,44,300 )
GROUP – C
(i) Superintendent, District Correctional Home / Deputy Superintendent, Central
Correctional Home : PAY LEVEL : 15 (42,600 – 1,09,800 )
(ii) Joint Block Development Officer : PAY LEVEL : 14 (39,900 – 1,02,800 )
(iii) Deputy Assistant Director of Consumer Affairs and Fair Business Practices :
PAY LEVEL : 14 (39,900 – 1,02,800 )
(iv) West Bengal Junior Social Welfare Service: PAY LEVEL : 14 (39,900 – 1,02,800 )
(v) West Bengal Subordinate Land Revenue Service, Grade-I :
PAY LEVEL : 14 (39,900 – 1,02,800 )
(vi) Assistant Commercial Tax Officer : PAY LEVEL : 14 (39,900 – 1,02,800 )
(vii) Registrar(District Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission)/Joint Registrar (West
Bengal State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission under the Consumer Affairs
Department, Government of West Bengal) :
PAY LEVEL : 14 (39,900 – 1,02,800 )
(viii) Assistant Canal Revenue Officer (Irrigation) : PAY LEVEL : 12 (35,800 – 92,100)
(ix) Chief Controller of Correctional Services: PAY LEVEL : 12 (35,800 – 92,100 )
GROUP – D
(i) Inspector of Co-operative Societies : PAY LEVEL : 10 (32,100 – 82,900 )
(ii) Panchayat Development Officer under the Panchayat and Rural Development
Department : PAY LEVEL : 10 (32,100 – 82,900)
(iii) Rehabilitation Officer under the Refugee Relief and Rehabilitation Department :
PAY LEVEL : 10 (32,100 – 82,900)
The West Bengal Civil Service Exam is conducted to recruit graduates who aspire to pursue a career in administration and bureaucracy in the state of West Bengal. This exam is conducted by the West Bengal Public Service Commission and consists of two stages- The written Examination and the Interview stage. The written examination further comprises the objective-type preliminary exam as well as the Mains exam which is both descriptive and objective. Candidates need to have extensive knowledge regarding the overall background as well as the current affairs of India and West Bengal to pass this exam.
|WBCS Advertisement||Click here|
|WBCS Notification||Click here|
|WBCS 2021 Notification||Click here|
|WBCS 2020 Notification||Click here|
Official website: pscwbonline.gov.in.
Ans: The application fee for WBCS 2022 is Rs. 210 along with additional service charges.
Ans: The exam has two stages: Written Examination and Personality Test.
Ans: Yes it is compulsory for a candidate to know Bengali Language but this criterion is not necessary for the candidates whose mother tongue is Nepali.
Ans: You can apply for the WBCS 2022 exam by registering yourself through the One Time Registration process and filling up the application form.
Ans: The minimum education qualification is a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university.
আমার রোল নম্বর লিখতে আর encode করতে ভুল হয়ে গিয়েছে। পরে কেটে আবার ঠিক করেছি। Invigilator বললো কিছু হবেনা ।
আমার কি paper reject হয়ে যাবে ?
Can we use calculator in WBCS mains for civil engineering optional?