UPSC NDA Syllabus 2020: The syllabus for both the NDA & NA (I) and NDA & NA (II) 2020 exams are provided in this article. UPSC is conducting a common entrance exam for NDA (I) and NDA (II) this year. The detailed syllabus is published through the official advertisements of these exams available on the Commission’s website i.e. upsc.gov.in. The syllabus consists of the two papers of Mathematics and General Ability Test (GAT). Paper of Mathematics carries 300 marks and the General Ability Test carries 600 marks. For effective preparation to score higher marks in these exams, candidates must refer to the syllabus first. Check out the detailed UPSC NDA Syllabus 2020 in the article.
UPSC NDA Syllabus 2020
Check the detailed NDA syllabus for Mathematics and General Ability Test (GAT) below.
UPSC NDA Syllabus of Mathematics
- ALGEBRA – Concept of set, Venn diagrams, Cartesian product, relation, equivalence relation, operations on sets, De Morgan laws, Representation of real numbers on a line, Binary system of numbers, Complex numbers, Quadratic equations with real coefficients, Conversion of a number in decimal system to binary system, Arithmetic, Geometric and Harmonic progressions, Solution of linear inequations of two variables by graphs, Binomial theorem and its applications, Permutation and Combination, Logarithms and their applications.
- MATRICES AND DETERMINANTS – Types nad operations of matrices, basic properties of determinants, Determinant of a matrix, 18 Applications-Solution of a system of linear equations in two or three unknowns by Cramer’s rule and by Matrix Method, Adjoint and the inverse of a square matrix.
- TRIGONOMETRY – Multiple and Sub-multiple angles, Angles and their measures in degrees and in radians, Trigonometric identities, Inverse trigonometric functions, Trigonometrical ratios, Sum and difference formulae, Applications-Height and distance, properties of triangles.
- ANALYTICAL GEOMETRY OF TWO AND THREE DIMENSIONS – Rectangular Cartesian Coordinate system, Point in a three-dimensional space, the distance between two points, Direction Cosines and direction ratios, Eccentricity and axis of a conic, Equation of a line in various forms, The angle between the two lines.Direction Cosines and direction ratios, distance of a point from a line, Distance formula, Equation of a circle in standard and in general form, Standard forms of parabola, ellipse and hyperbola. Equation two points, Equation of a plane and a line in various forms, Angle between two lines and angle between two planes.
- DIFFERENTIAL CALCULUS – Concept of a real-valued function–domain, range and graph of a function, Composite functions, one to one, onto and inverse functions, Notion of limit, Standard limit, Continuity of functions, algebraic operations on continuous functions, Derivative of function at a point, geometrical and physical interpretation of a derivative—applications, Derivatives of sum, product and quotient of functions, derivative of a function with respect to another function, derivative of a composite function, Second-order derivatives, Increasing and decreasing functions. Application of derivatives in problems of maxima and minima.
- INTEGRAL CALCULUS AND DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS – Integration as inverse of differentiation, integration by substitution and by parts, Evaluation of definite integrals, trigonometric, exponential and hyperbolic functions, Application in problems of growth and decay, the formation of a differential equation by examples, standard integrals involving algebraic expressions, General and particular solution of a differential equation, Definition of order and degree of a differential equation, solution of the first order and first-degree differential equations of various types.
- VECTOR ALGEBRA – Vectors in two and three dimensions, magnitude and direction of a vector, Unit and null vectors, addition of vectors, scalar product or dot product of two vectors, scalar multiplication of a vector, cross product or Vector product of two vectors, work done by a force and moment of a force.
- STATISTICS AND PROBABILITY –
Statistics: Classification of data, Frequency, cumulative frequency distribution, Graphical representation- Histogram, Pie Chart, frequency polygon, Mean, median and mode, Variance and standard deviation, Correlation and regression.
Probability: Random experiment, outcomes and associated sample space, events, mutually exclusive and exhaustive events, impossible and certain events, Union and Intersection of events. Complementary, elementary and composite events, Definition of probability, Elementary theorems on probability, Conditional probability, Bayes’ theorem.
UPSC NDA Syllabus of General Ability Test (GAT)
- Grammar, General vocabulary, comprehension, cohesion in extended teat to check the candidate’s knowledge about the language.
- Section ‘A’ (Physics)-
- Physical Properties and States of Matter, Motion of objects, Newton’s Laws of Motion, Force and Momentum, Gravitation, Effects of Heat, Static and Current Electricity, Ohm’s Law, Simple Pendulum, Simple Pulleys, Spherical mirrors and Lenses, Human Eye, change of State and Latent Heat, elementary ideas of work, Power and Energy, Stability and Equilibrium of bodies, Measurement of Temperature and Heat.
- Section ‘B’ (Chemistry)
- Oxidation-reduction, Physical and Chemical changes, Elements, Mixtures and Compounds, Law of Chemical Combination, Preparation and Properties of Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, and Carbon dioxide, Fertilizers, the structure of Atom, Valency.
- Section ‘C’ (General Science)
- Food, Constituents of food, Solar System, Basis of Life – cell, Growth and Reproduction in Plants and Animals, knowledge of Human Body and its organs.
- Section ‘D’ (History, Freedom Movement etc.)
- Renaissance, War of American Independence, French Revolution, Concept of one World, United Nations, Democracy, Socialism and Communism, Freedom Movement in India, A broad survey of Indian History, Industrial Revolution and Russian Revolution.
- Section ‘E’ (Geography)
- The Earth, Lattitudes and Longitudes, Movements of Earth and their effects, Origin of Earth, Rocks , Ocean Currents and Tides, Atmosphere and its composition, Humidity, Condensation and Precipitation, Types of Climate,Regional Geography of India, Mineral and Power resources, Important Sea ports and main sea, land and air routes of India, Main items of Imports and Exports of India.
- Section ‘F’ (Current Events)
- Events around the world to check the knowledge of candidates about the events happening in and around the world.
UPSC NDA Syllabus 2020 of Intelligence and Personality Test
Check the screenshot given below, to know about the details of Intelligence and Personality Test.
About NDA 2020
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts the examination for the National Defence Academy and Naval Academy Examination biannually. This year, the Commission has decided to conduct a common exam for NDA (I) and NDA (II) owing to the disruptions in schedule caused by the COVID-19 crisis. Candidates who have passed Class 12th of the 10+2 pattern examination from a recognized university or board are eligible to apply for NDA and NDA (I & II). The selection of candidates is done on the basis of the written examination and the SSB interview round. Finally, selected candidates are offered admission into one of the three wings of the National Defense Academy i.e. Army, Navy, or Airforce, or the Indian Naval Academy where they undergo training for a period of 03 years.