UPSC IFS 2020: After postponing the Prelims of the Indian Forest Service 2020, Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has now announced the new date through a revised timetable of events. The Prelims are now scheduled to be held on October 04, 2020. Incidentally, the Prelims of the IFS 2020 is conducted jointly with the IAS 2020 Prelims. The Main exam of the IFS 2020 has been rescheduled to February 28, 2021. The Commission has indicated the recruitment to be conducted for filling up 90 vacant positions. Candidates can get the complete details of UPSC IFS 2020 including application form, eligibility, admit card, result, here.
>> UPSC allows candidates to change exam centres for UPSC IFS 2020 between July 07 to 13, 2020 and July 20 to 24, 2020.Check details below.
>> UPSC has announced the fresh dates of the IFS 2020 exams. The Prelims are scheduled to be held on October 04, 2020, while the Main exam is scheduled to be held on February 28, 2021.
UPSC IFS 2020
This year, UPSC has released 90 vacancies for Indian Forest Service (IFS). However, now one must note that the schedule as indicated is to be followed for all events of the IFS 2020 exam. Know important dates for IFS 2020 in the table.
|IFS 2020||Important Dates|
|Notification Date||12 Feb 2020|
|Start of application||12 Feb 2020|
|Last date to apply||03 March 2020|
|Form withdrawal||12 to 18 Mar 2020|
|Re-start of Application form withdrawal||01 -08 Aug 2020|
|Window for submission of revised choice of centers||07-13 Jul 2020|
20-24 Jul 2020
|Issuance of admit card||3 weeks before exam|
04 Oct 2020
UPSC IFS 2020 Latest Updates
Important Notice for the candidates to submit a choice of center
UPSC has released a public notice regarding the change of exam centers. Keeping the view of large number of applicants apply for Civil Services (Preliminary) Exam, 2020 (including Indian Forest Service, Exam 2020, and requests received from candidates to change of exam centers, the commission has decided to give the opportunity to the applications to change the exam centre. The window to change exam centre will open from in two phases i.e. July 07 to 13, 2020, and July 20 to 24, 2020 till 6:00 PM. Along with this, the commission is also allowing candidates to withdraw their applications from August 01 to 08, 2020. Candidates can download the detailed notification from the link given below.
Click here to check Important Notice for the candidates to submit a choice of center.
Note: Candidates of Indian Forest Service Examination, 2020, if do not want to change the Centre, are not required to log into the UPSC Change of Examination Centre system.
New Exam Dates of IFS 2020 Released
After postponing the scheduled dates of the IFS 2020 exam, the Union Public Service Commission has now released fresh dates of conducting the exam. As per the new revised exam time table, the Prelims are going to be held jointly with the IAS 2020 on October 04, 2020 while the Main exam is scheduled to be conducted on February 28, 2020. Candidates can check the revised time table from the official website upsc.gov.in.
Press Release on May 20, 2020
UPSC has conducted the special meeting on May 20, 2020 to review the present situation after the third phase of countrywide lockdown. The commission has decided that it will not be possible examination and interviews in this situation. However, the commission has decided to review again the situation and will release the new schedule for the UPSC 2020 examination and interview on June 05, 2020. The new schedule will be uploaded on the official website of UPSC after the meeting on June 05, 2020.
Press Release on May 04, 2020
The Commission has postponed the preliminary examination which was earlier scheduled to be held on May 31, 2020. In this regard, UPSC first declared that it is reviewing the dates of all upcoming reviews due to the current COVID-19 crisis in India. However, now, as per the latest press, the IFS 2020 Prelims have been postponed. The commission will reviews the situation again on May 20, 200 and fresh dates for the preliminary exam can be notified on the website.
An Overview Of UPSC IFS 2020
Indian Forest Service exam is one of three all India level exams conducted by UPSC; the other two being the IAS and IPS exams. As the name suggests, the IFS exam is conducted for recruitment to different forest service posts of the Indian government. Check out about the IFS 2020 exam at a glance below.
1. Similar to the other two all India exams, the IFS 2020 exam consists of three stages i.e. the preliminary exam, main exam, and the final interview.
2. Eligible candidates can apply online through the UPSC website upsc.gov.in by paying a nominal fee of Rs 100.
3. UPSC conducts the IFS exam once a year. It releases the official notice for the same at the website upsc.gov.in.
4. One needs to have a degree in any of the subjects among Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology to apply. Those having a degree in Agriculture or Forestry or Engineering can also apply.
5. General candidates are allowed 06 attempts to clear the IFS exam. OBC candidates are allowed 09 attempts. SC/ST candidates can appear as many times as they want.
6. If candidates want, they can withdraw applications within the specified schedule after the closing date of applications. However, the UPSC does not make refund of application fee even if the application is withdrawn.
UPSC IFS 2020 Admit Card
The eligible candidates can download IFS e-admit card three weeks prior to the commencement of exam. E-admit card releases at the UPSC official website, upsc.gov.in. E-admit card for IFS 2020 releases under ‘admit card’ tab. Candidates have to click on ‘e-admit card for various examinations of UPSC’. A list of available admit card is displayed. After clicking on the download link, the active link for downloading the admit card is displayed on the screen. Access admit card with registration number or by roll number.
Follow the simple steps given below to download the admit card before the exam with ease.
#1: At first, go to the official website of UPSC at upsc.gov.in
#2: Click on the link for Admit Card
#3: Now click on the relevant link to download the admit card for the UPSC IFS 2020 exam and you will be redirected to a new page.
#4: Login with the credentials and the admit card is displayed.
#5: Download and generate a print out of the admit card.
UPSC IFS 2020 Syllabus
UPSC IFS 2020 syllabus contains the details of the subjects and topics included in the exam. It helps the students to prepare for the exam. However, this syllabus is indicative and candidates are advised to go through previous year papers, mock tests etc to check the depth and level of difficulty of the question paper of UPSC IFS 2020 exam. Check out the main subjects included in the IFS 2020 syllabus below.
Syllabus of preliminary exam
- National and international current events
- Indian history and Indian National Movement
- Indian and world geography
- Indian polity and governance
- Economic and social development
- General issues on environmental ecology, biodiversity and climate change
- Interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Logical reasoning & analytical ability
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy
Syllabus of main exam
- General English
- General knowledge
- Subject specific syllabus as per preferred subject of the candidate.
Note: For the main exam, candidates can choose one among Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Forestry, Geology, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Statistics, Zoology.
UPSC IFS 2020 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern of IFS is provided by UPSC in the notification. Candidates can refer to the examination pattern for UPSC IFS 2020 provided below for their preparation.
For preliminary examination
- Mode of examination: Civil services exam is an offline examination.
- Number of paper: Civil services exam (pre) has 2 sections.
- Language: Available in bilingual language (Hindi and English).
- Type of questions: Multiple choice questions
- Maximum Marks: 400 marks (200 marks for each section)
- Marking scheme:
|For correct answer||+2 marks|
|For incorrect answer||-2/3 marks|
For IFS Main Examination
- Mode of examination: Offline exam.
- Language: Paper is set only in English language. Candidates have to answer in the English language only.
- Duration: 3 hours for each paper
- Number of paper: There are 6 different papers.
- Type of questions: All the questions asked are in essay (conventional) type
- Maximum Marks: 1400 marks (300 marks for Paper I and Paper-II respectively and for rest 200 marks each.)
UPSC IFS 2020 Preparation Tips
Similar to the other two all India Civil Service exams, cracking the Indian Forest Service 2020 exam also requires dedication, focus and productive study. Every candidate has their own study method or strategy. In fact, individual candidates have to work out what strategy works best for them. However, instead of wasting precious time, candidates can consider the following important tips to perform better in the UPSC IFS 2020 exam.
Start studying earlier. Do not waste time thinking that you can manage to cover the syllabus by studying for a month or less. There is just no shortcut to passing any civil service exam.
Set a study plan and make milestones. Milestones are targets to achieve. Set schedule to achieve your study targets. Dedicate necessary study hours and effort to complete these study targets in time.
Schedule mock tests in periodic intervals; preferably at the end of each study milestone. Then solve mock tests to check how much prepared you are. Note down weaknesses and start working on them.
Practice from previous year question papers. Solve these papers while also referring to objective type question papers from previous years. It will help you anticipate question pattern in the upcoming exams.
Refer to good books for preparation. Although there are various preparation and guide books available in the market, choose according to your needs to study. Here you can check some of the most important books to study for IFS 2020 exam.
Suggested books for UPSC IFS 2020
With a diverse variety of preparation guides and study books available in the commercial markets, candidates can be confused in choosing the most appropriate study materials. Therefore, we have suggested some of the most important and relevant books for UPSC IFS 2020 preparation.
|UPSC-IFS Main Examination Guide: |
A Complete Book for Paper I and Paper II
|Indian Forestry A Breakthrough |
Approach to Forest Service 7th Edition
|UPSC: Civil Services & Indian Forest Service |
(Common Preliminary: Paper-I) Exam Guide
|The Mental Ability, Logical Reasoning & Problem |
Solving Compendium for IAS Prelims
|UPSC-IFS Forestry Main Guide||Click here|
UPSC IFS 2020 Notification
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has released UPSC IFS 2020 official notification. Click on the image below to download UPSC IFS 2020 notification.
UPSC IFS 2020 Vacancy Details
As per the official notification of the UPSC IFS 2020 exam, a total of 90 vacancies are advertised by the Commission this year. These vacancies are filled by the recruitments made through the IFS 2020 exam. Check out more details regarding the reservation of vacancies from below.
|Leprosy cured & |
UPSC IFS 2020 Application Form
The application form for IFS 2020 is now available at the official website, upsc.gov.in. Candidates have to fill the application form for civil services (pre) which acts as the screening test for the selection for IFS (main). Those qualify for IFS (main) exam have to fill a detailed application form to appear for IFS (main) examination.
How to apply?
To apply, visit the official website, upsc.gov.in. Scroll a little to find an option ‘apply online’ present at the right side. Once done, click on ‘online application for various examination of UPSC’. A list of the application form available is displayed on the screen. Apply for the examination by providing the basic personal details, educational qualification, category, etc.
- Candidates applying for civil services (pre) exam are required to pay the application fee of Rs.100/-.
- Female candidates/SC/ST/PwBD are exempted from the submission of fee.
- Fee can be submitted online using net banking facility of State Bank of India (SBI) or Visa/Master/RuPay/Credit/Debit card.
- Those opting for ‘pay by cash’ have to take a print out of the system generated pay-in-slip and deposit the fee at the SBI counter.
UPSC IFS 2020 Application Form Withdrawal
The Commission allows applicants to withdraw applications if they do not wish to appear in the exam. However, this scope is on;y provided for a short while after the closing date of the online applications. For those who desire to withdraw their applications, they can do the same through the website of the Commission within the specified schedule. Consider the following important points to withdraw the application form.
#1: Remember that you must have submitted the application in the first place to withdraw the application. This means that incomplete or applications that were not submitted cannot be withdrawn.
#2: IFS 2020 application form withdrawal is only possible within the schedule as mentioned by the Commission. Therefore, if you wish to withdraw the applications, decide on it and act wisely.
#3: You will not be refunded the application fee when you withdraw the application. You can generate a print out of the authenticated receipt only as a proof of application form withdrawal.
#4: One needs to enter the registration number in order to withdraw the application. Besides, an OTP is sent at the registered email id and mobile number of the applicant. These must be furnished to withdraw applications.
#5: If you do not initiate the process of form withdrawal but get the message at registered email, immediately contact the Commission at [email protected]
UPSC IFS 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Before beginning with the application process, candidates must check the eligibility criteria below.
- Candidates must be a citizen of India, or
- Subject of Nepal or
- Subject of Bhutan or
- Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 01, 1992, or
- Candidates of Indian origin who has migrated from Burma, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Uganda, Kenya, the Republic of Tanzania, Zaire, Malawi, Ethiopia, and Vietnam with intention of permanently settling here.
- Minimum age: 21 years
- Maximum age: 32 years
- Candidates must not be born before August 02, 1987, or after August 01, 1998.
|Domicile of the state Jammu and Kashmir during |
the period from Jan 1, 1980
|Defence services personal who were disabled in |
operations with any foreign country or disturbed area
|ECOs/SSCOs who completed an initial period of |
assignment of five years of Military Service
|Person with benchmark||10 years|
- Candidates who have a bachelor’s degree with at least one of the subjects – from animal husbandry and veterinary science, chemistry, botany, geology, mathematics, physics, statistics and zoology
- Candidates with a bachelor’s degree in agriculture, forestry or in engineering.
UPSC IFS 2020 Selection Procedure
The selection of candidates applying for Indian Forest Services (IFS) is done through 2 stages-
- Civil services examination (preliminary)
- Indian Forest Services (main) including written and interview round.
Candidates are called for IFS (main) only after qualifying pre-exam for civil services. As the preliminary examination for IAS and IFS is same, a separate list for both exams is released. It is mandatory to secure 33% in preliminary exam to qualify for IFS (Main) exam. Candidates have to apply again to take IFS (main) exam. Those who are declared qualified for main exam have to mention order of zones in preference before the commencement of personality test (interview).
UPSC IFS 2020 Cut off
Cut off marks for IFS 2020 depends on the number and candidates appeared in the exam and the difficulty level. Get cut off marks for the previous year and try to score higher than the previous year.
IFS 2018 Cut off Marks
|Category||Qualifying marks |
out of 200 (pre)
|Qualifying marks |
out of 1400
|Marks secured by |
candidate (out of 1700)
IFS 2017 Cut off Marks
|Category||IFS (pre) through |
|Qualifying marks |
out of 1400
|Marks secured by |
candidate (out of 1700)
UPSC IFS Exam Center 2020
The examination centre for IFS 2020 as per the official notification is provided below:
Preliminary exam centre
|Gautam Budh Nagar||Gaya|
|Port Blair||Prayagraj (Allahabad)|
UPSC IFS Answer Key 2020
UPSC releases answer key for IFS 2020 online at upsc.gov.in. To download, visit the official website and click on the examination’ button. A drop-down list appears with the link to download ‘answer key’. After clicking on the link, answer key for all exam appears. IFS answer key for preliminary and mains are released separately. With the help of answer key, candidates can calculate their estimated scores and know their chance for the selection for IFS (main).
UPSC IFS 2020 Result
The IFS result 2020 releases at the official website of UPSC, upsc.gov.in. Candidates can check their result directly from the website by clicking on ‘written result’ link. A link with ‘examination written result’ appears on the screen. Access UPSC IFS result by clicking on the link. Selection of candidates for IFS (main) depends on their performance in civil services examination. The final selection of candidates is purely based on IFS (main) which includes written and interview round.
Roles and Responsibilities of an IFS Officer
Qualifiers of the UPSC IFS exam are selected for recruitment into forest services of India. They are entrusted with a number of fundamental roles and responsibilities related to the preservation and maintenance of the vegetative resources of the country. Here are some of the key roles and responsibilities of officers of the Indian Forest Services.
- Enforcement of the National Forest Policy in the wider aims of preservation and maintenance of forest areas.
- Prevent and control the illegal logging of forest resources including rare and exotic trees.
- Engage in activities to restore vegetative resources of the country by planting trees and heading the organization of such events.
- As important forest resources, the flora and fauna (including important animals) must be conserved by enforcing measures to protect against poaching and similar illegal activities.
- Planning and implementation of strategies for legal and ethical timber exploitation and other commercial use of forest resources.
- IFS officer roles include traveling to facilitate surveys of the forest resources from time to time.
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) appoints and conducts examination for all India services and group A and B posts of central services. Earlier UPSC was known as Federal Public Service Commission which was renamed into today’s Union Public Service Commission after independence. UPSC is consulted by the government of India in matters relating to the appointment, transfer, promotion and disciplinary matters. Being a constitutional body it is autonomous and free, along with the Election commission and country’s higher judiciary. UPSC is headquartered at Dholpur, New Delhi, India. UPSC current chairman is Mr Arvind Saxena.
Official website: upsc.gov.in
For more information related to UPSC IFS 2020, download notification
UPSC IFS Archives
Get UPSC IFS archives for year 2019 and 2018 below.
UPSC IFS 2020 Recruitment Frequently Asked Questions
Ans : The official website of UPSC is upsc.gpv.in.
Ans : Candidates have to pay Rs.100/- (unreserved/EWS/OBC) to submit application form.
Ans : Candidates must have a bachelor's degree in agriculture, forestry or in engineering from a recognized university.