Goa Staff Selection Commission (Goa SSC): Government of Goa has declared the formation of Goa Staff Selection Commission under the Goa Staff Selection Commission Act 2019 (Goa Act 11 of 2019). Goa SSC consists of one chairperson as well as two members. Posts of Group ‘C’ of government departments will be covered by Goa SSC. Goa SSC is going to conduct the examination to appoint suitable candidates in government departments for subordinate services of Goa. Head of the government department will notify the commission regarding the number of vacancies in subordinate services and posts, including the ones that are anticipated for that year.
Members of Goa SSC
The Act specifies that the chairperson leading the commission will either be the retired or serving officer of Indian Administrative Services, who has drawn or drawing the pay scale not less than the super-time scale. Officer retired from the Goa Civil Service, or from the semi-government organisation or the institution aided by the government, whose last drawn pay scale is not less than the pay scale of selection grade officer, can also apply.
Two memebers other than the chairperson should be either retired or serving government officers, or someone who is working with the semi-government organisation or with the institutes aided by the government. These two members should have drawn or drawing the pay scale which is not less than the pay scale of the senior level officer.
Suspension or Removal of Members of Goa SSC
Member of the Commission and Chairperson of Goa SSC, will be suspended if found guilty of the following:
- If they are insolvent or adjudged
- Sentenced or convicted to imprisonment for the act that is considered wrong by the Governer
- Unfit to continue the job due to mental or physical sickness
- Found employed in responsibilities and duties other than the office
- Abused or gone against the position
Functions & Duties of Goa SSC
Important functions and duties of Goa SSC are as follows,
- The Commission is resposnidble for conducting all the examinations and selecting the candidates for various subordinate posts and services.
- Commission will perform the duties and functions as notified by the government.
- Departmental examinations will be conducted by the Commission and it will advice government on other matters as referred by government to it.
- Commission will ensure that the candidates are appointed through transparent procedures. Appointed candidates should have clean record with no indulgence in any of the act that goes against the goverment.
- Commission has to advise on recruitment methods or any other matters that are related to the sub-ordinate posts and services, as referred by the department of the government.
- The government has the right to define which cases does not need the consultation of the Commission.
- If there is a difference in the opinion of the government department and the Commission, then such cases will be resolved by the government.
Goa SSC Fee
Candidates applying for Goa SSC has to pay a specific fee, as defined by the Commission. Candidates belonging to SC/St category has to pay the 25% of the total fee and OBC candidates have to pay the 50% of the total:
|SC/ST||25% of total fee|
|OBC||50% of total fee|
Powers of Goa SSC
General powers that lie with the Commission are listed below:
Power of making rules:
- Power to constitute the advisory committee which will advise government
- It can involve suitable experts or consultants having special skills and knowledge that will help the Commission to perform its functions in best possible way.
- As per the permission given previously by government, Commission can delegate it’s power specially or generally to any of the officers or committee that belongs to it.
- The committee can enter into the contracts that are considered necessary to carry our its functions uninterruptedly.
Power of making regulations:
- After taking approval from the government, Commission can make the regulations that does not goes against the Act.
- Such regulations may comprise of conducting the exam, candidates’ selection for subordinates posts and services.
- The manner and the time limit within which the Government department will inform about the vacancies.
- Defining the selection mode and fixing the selection criteria, after consulting the government department.
- Creating the method of arranging the selected cadidates as per the merit list and vacancies to be filled.
- Defining the process of forwarding the list of the candidates who are selected to the appointing authority as per the merit.
- Deciding how the advertisement is going to be published to invite applications.
- No amendment or regulation will be accepted until it is approved by the government.