UPPSC PCS Syllabus 2021: The syllabus for UPPSC PCS syllabus 2021 exam has been defined by the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC). The recruitment process has 2 written exams which are the preliminary exam and the main exam. The preliminary exam has 2 papers of 200 marks each. The candidates get 2 hours for each paper. In the main exam, the candidates have 6 compulsory paper and 2 optional papers. The compulsory papers are common for everyone. Test takers who wish to know the details of PCS Pre Syllabus and Main exam UPPSC PCS Syllabus 2021 must read the article till the end.
UPPSC PCS Syllabus 2021
Organising Body: Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPSC)
Name of Exam: Combined State / Upper Subordinate Services (PCS)
Name of Paper: Preliminary exam and Main exam
UPPSC PCS Syllabus 2021
Paper-1: General Studies-1:
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- India and World geography
- Indian Polity and governance
- Economic and Social Development
- General Issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change- that do not
require subject specialization.
- General Science
Paper-2: General Studies-II:
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability
- Elementary Mathematics up to Class X level-Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry and Statistics.
- General English up to Class X level.
- General Hindi up to Class X level.
(i) Elementary Mathematics (Upto Class X Level):
(ii) General English Upto Class X Level:
- Active Voice and Passive Voice
- Parts of Speech
- Transformation of Sentences
- Direct and Indirect Speech
- Punctuation and Spellings
- Words meanings
- Vocabulary & Usage
- Idioms and Phrases
- Fill in the Blanks
(iii) General Hindi Upto Class 10th:
I. General Hindi:
II. Essay: The question paper will have 3 sections. The candidates must select on question from each section and write 700 words on each.
Section A: (1) Literature and Culture. (2) Social sphere. (3) Political sphere.
Section B: (1) Science, Environment and Technology. (2) Economic Sphere (3) Agriculture, Industry and Trade.
Section C: (1) National and International Events. (2) Natural Calamities, Land slide, Earthquake, Deluge, Drought etc. (3) National Development programmes and projects.
III. General Studies-I:
- History of Indian Culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history (from A.D.1757 to A.D. 1947)
- The Freedom Struggle
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country (till 1965A.D.)
- Salient features of Indian Society and culture.
- Role of Women in society and women’s organization
- Meaning of liberalization, privatization and globalization and their effects on the economy, polity and social structure.
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
- Distribution of major natural resources of World
- Salient features of Physical Geography
- Oceanic resources of India and their potential.
- Human migration
- Frontiers and boundaries with reference to Indian sub-continent.
- Population and Settlements
- Specific knowledge of Uttar Pradesh
- Specific knowledge of U.P.- Geography
IV. General Studies-II:
- Indian Constitution
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States
- Role of Finance Commission in Centre-State financial relations
- Parliament and State legislatures
- Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary
- Development processes
- Important aspects of governance
- Current affairs and events of Regional, State, National and International importance.
- Important International Institutions, Agencies their structure, mandate and functioning
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests- Indian diaspora
V. General Studies-III:
- Economic planning in India, objectives and achievements
- Issues of Poverty, Unemployment, Social justice and inclusive growth.
- Components of Government Budgets and Financial System.
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices
- Food processing and related industries in India
- Land reforms in India since independence.
- Effects of liberalization and globalization on the economy
- Science and Technology
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology and others
- Awareness in the fields of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Space Technology
- Environmental security and Ecosystems and others
- Disaster as a Non-traditional security and safety challenge, disaster mitigation and management.
- Challenges of International Security
- India’s internal security challenges
- Role, kind and mandate of security forces, Higher defence organizations in Indi
- Specific knowledge of Uttar Pradesh Economy
- Issues in Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry and Animal Husbandry.
- Law and Order and Civil Defence with special reference to U.P.
VI. General Studies-IV:
- Ethics and Human Interface
- Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public services, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.·
- Emotional Intelligence
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and the world.·
- Public/Civil Service Values and Ethics in Public Administration
- Probity in Governance
- Case studies on the above issues.
Below are the optional subjects from which the candidates have to choose one. There will be 2 papers conducted from that subject:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Animal Husbandry
- English Lit.
- Physics & Veterinary Science
- Urdu Lit.
- Hindi Lit.
- Sanskrit Lit.
- Political Science
- Commerce & Accountancy
- Sociology International Relations
- Public Administration
- Medical Science
- Civil Engineering
UPPSC PCS Syllabus PDF – Download Here
UPPSC PCS Exam Pattern 2021
Below is the exam pattern that the candidates must know to prepare for the UPPSC PCS 2021 exam:
(i) Preliminary Exam:
Mode of Exam: Offline exam
Language: Bilingual (Hindi and English).
No. of Papers: The exam has 2 papers: paper 1 and paper 2.
Duration: Each of the exams is of 2 hours.
Type of Questions: Objective type only.
Marking Scheme: There is a negative marking of 1/3rd marks of the total marks of the question paper.
Total Marks: The question paper is of 200 marks for every paper in the preliminary exam.
(ii) Main Exam:
Mode of Exam: Offline mode pen-paper test.
Language: In Hindi as well as in English in the exam.
Durations: The papers are for 3 hours each for Main exam.
Type of quetions: Descriptive essay type
Negative Marking: There is no negative marking for the wrong answers.
(i) Compulsory Papers:
|General Hindi||150 marks|
|General Studies (First Paper)||200 marks|
|General Studies (Second Paper)||200 marks|
|General Studies (Third Paper)||200 marks|
|General Studies (Fourth Paper)||200 marks|
About UP PCS
The Combined State / Upper Subordinate Services (PCS) is conducted by the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) in 3 stages. The first stage is the Preliminary exam. There are 2 papers in the preliminary exam. The candidates have to score marks of more than 40% in the Paper-1 and more than 33% in the Paper-2. The candidates qualifying for the preliminary exam will appear in the main exam. The candidates clearing the main exam will appear in the interview test.