AFCAT Syllabus 2020 – Indian Air force (IAF) conducts the examination of Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT) 02/2020. Candidates can download AFCAT 2 2020 syllabus from this page. Along with the syllabus, AFCAT scheme of examination is also available on this page. Aspirnats can seek guidance referring to AFCAT Syllabus and the topics related to it. Indian Air Force grants +3 marks for every question and deducts marks for incorrect questions (-1 mark). Candidates can read the article below for AFCAT 2020 Syllabus and exam pattern.
AFCAT Syllabus 2020
The syllabus is an important resource for interested candidates for their preparation. It helps them to build a comprehensive knowledge regarding the topics of AFCAT 2 2020 exam. Candidates can refer to the previous AFCAT and EKT syllabus provided below.
- English: Comprehension, filling in of correct word/sentence completion, antonyms, synonyms, vocabulary, error detection, idioms and phrases.
- General awareness: Geography, current affairs, polity, history, basic science, environment, defense, art, culture, sports, etc.
- Numerical ability: Time and work, profit and loss, average, ratio and proportion, percentage, decimal fraction, time and distance (train, boat and stream), simple interest.
- Reasoning and military aptitude test: Spatial ability, verbal skills.
Fundamental Engineering (For computer science, mechanical, electrical and electronics engineering)
- Engineering mathematics : Matrix Algebra, Partial derivatives, Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors, Theorems of integral calculus, Maxima and minima, Multiple integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems. The first-order differential equation (linear and nonlinear), Complex variables, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Taylor and Laurent series, Sampling theorems, Mean, Median, Random variables, Mode and Standard deviation, Discrete and Continuous distributions, Fourier transform, Laplace transform, Z Transform.
- Engineering Physics: Units for measurement, Description of Motion in One, Two and Three Dimensions, Rotational Motion, Gravitation, Heat and Thermodynamics, Laws of Motion, Work, Energy and Power, Electrostatics, Electric Current, Magnetism, Magnetic Effect of Currents, Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents and Electromagnetic Waves, Ray Optics and Optical Instruments.
- Engineering drawing: Projection of straight lines, Intersection of surfaces, planes and solids, Isometric Projection, Full section, Sectional Views of solids, Introduction to Computer-Aided Drafting.
Syllabus for Computer Science engineering
Specialisation branch topics
- Analog and digital electronics: Characteristics of diodes, BJT, FET, JFET and MOSFET, equivalent circuit and frequency response, Amplifiers biasing, Oscillators and feedback amplifiers, Operational amplifiers characteristics and applications, Simple active filters, Combinational and sequential logic circuits, VCOs and timers, Multiplexer, Multi-vibrators, Schmitt trigger, Sample and hold circuits, A/D and D/A converters, 8-bit microprocessor basics, architecture, programming and interfacing.
- Electrical Engineering: Intrinsic and extrinsic Silicon, Energy bands in Silicon, Carrier transport in Silicon diffusion current, mobility, drift current, and resistivity. Generation and recombination of carriers, p-n junction diode, tunnel diode, Zener diode, JFET, BJT, MOS capacitor, LED, MOSFET, PIN and avalanche photo diode, Basics of LASER.
- Computer Network: ISO/OSI stack, LAN technologies (Ethernet, Token ring), Congestion control, Flow and error control techniques, TCP/UDP and sockets, IPv4, Basic concepts of hubs, Application layer protocols (icmp, dns, smtp, pop, ftp, http), switches, gateways, and routers. Network security basic concepts of a public key and private key cryptography, firewalls, digital signature,. Basic concepts of client-server computing.
- Network theory designs: Thevenin’s, Norton’s, Superposition, Reciprocity, Compensation, Miller’s, Tellegen’s and Maximum power transfer theorems. Impulse, ramp, step, and sinusoidal response analysis of first order and second-order circuits. Two-port parameters and their interrelations, Fourier series in the context of network analysis, Application of Laplace transform, and Network synthesis.
- Switching theory: Traffic definitions, classification of switching systems, Introduction to switching networks. Grade of Service and blocking probability, packet switching, Basics of Circuit switching. Network traffic load and parameters, Incoming traffic, Modelling of switching systems and service time characterisation, Blocking models and loss estimates, M/M/1 model, Delay systems – Markovian queuing model, Limited queue capacity, Multiple server, Queue discipline, Finite sources.
- Information Technology: Operating System Processes, interprocess communication, threads, Concurrency, Synchronization, CPU scheduling, Deadlock, Memory management and virtual memory, I/O systems, File systems, Protection and security. RDBMS ER-model, Database design (integrity constraints, normal forms), Relational model (relational algebra, tuple calculus), Query languages (SQL), Transactions and concurrency control, File structures (sequential files, indexing, B and B+ trees). Software engineering Information gathering, requirement and feasibility analysis, process specifications, data flow diagrams, input/output design, process life cycle, design, coding, testing, planning and managing the project, implementation, maintenance. Programming in C, basics of computer graphics, Object-Oriented Programming.
- Electrical engineering: Single phase transformer equivalent circuit, tests, phasor diagram, regulation and efficiency, Energy conversion principles, Auto-transformer, windings, DC machines types, armature reaction generator characteristics,and commutation; Servo and stepper motors, Generators regulation, Synchronous machines, and parallel operation.
- Control Engineering: Application of open loop and closed loop systems, transient and steady-state errors, Determination of transfer function by block diagram reduction method, Principles of feedback, Time domain analysis of first and second-order systems, damping and oscillations.
- Telecommunication system: Analog communication amplitude and angle modulation and demodulation systems, signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), Superheterodyne receivers, Fundamentals of information theory and channel capacity theorem. Differential Pulse Code Modulation (DPCM), Digital communication systems Pulse Code Modulation (PCM), Digital modulation schemes: amplitude, phase and frequency shift keying schemes (ASK, PSK, FSK), Basics of TDMA, FDMA and CDMA. Fundamentals of mobile communication, Fundamentals of optical fibre communication.
- Microwave engineering: Wave guides, Travelling Wave Tubes, Klystrons, Magnetron, Microwave semiconductor devices, Introduction to microstrip lines, Monolithic microwave integrated circuits.
- Antenna and wave propagation: Antenna parameters, Gain, Beamwidth, Effective length and aperture, Directivity, Efficiency, Radiation resistance, Impedance and Directional characteristics of antenna, Polarization, Reflection, refraction, interference and diffraction of radio waves. Fundamentals ground wave, sky wave, space wave, and troposcatter propagation.
- Radar theory: Radar range equation, Fundamentals of Moving Target Indicator (MTI), Frequencies of operation, Pulse Doppler Radar, Tracking radar.
- Instrumentation: Accuracy, precision and repeatability, Theory of Oscilloscopes, Electronic instruments for measuring basic parameters, Signal generators, Signal analysers, Characteristics and construction of transducers.
Syllabus for Electrical and Electronics engineering
- Analog and Digital engineering: Characteristics of diodes, BJT, FET, JFET and MOSFET, equivalent circuit and frequency response, Amplifiers biasing, Oscillators and feedback amplifiers, Simple active filters, VCOs and timers, Operational amplifiers characteristics and applications, Combinational and sequential logic circuits, Multiplexer, Multi-vibrators, Schmitt trigger, 8-bit microprocessor basics, Sample and hold circuits, A/D and D/A converters, architecture, programming and interfacing.
- Electrical engineering: Single phase transformer equivalent circuit, tests, regulation and efficiency, phasor diagram, Three-phase transformers connections, Autotransformer, parallel operation; Energy conversion principles, windings, DC machines types, generator characteristics, starting and speed control of motors, armature reaction and commutation, Single phase and Three-phase induction motors principles, types, performance characteristics, starting and speed control, Synchronous machines Generators performance, Starting motors, Servo and stepper motors, regulation and parallel operation.
- Electronic devices: Energy bands in Silicon, Intrinsic and extrinsic Silicon, drift current, mobility, Carrier transport in Silicon diffusion current, and resistivity. Generation and recombination of carriers, p-n junction diode, Zener diode, tunnel diode, MOSFET, LED, PIN and avalanche photo diode, BJT, JFET, MOS capacitor, Basics of LASER. Device technology integrated circuits fabrication process, diffusion, oxidation, ion implantation, n-tub, p-tub and twin-tub CMOS process, photolithography.
- Control engineering: Application of open loop and closed loop systems, Determination of transfer function by block diagram reduction method, Principles of feedback, Time domain analysis of first and second order systems, damping and oscillations, transient and steady-state errors, Routh and Nyquist techniques, Root loci, Lag, lead and lead-lag compensation, Bode plots, State space model, State transition matrix, Controllability and observability.
- Telecommunication system: Random signals and noise probability, random variables, probability density function, autocorrelation, power spectral density. Analog communication amplitude and angle modulation and demodulation systems, superheterodyne receivers, spectral analysis of these operations; realisations of analog communication systems, elements of hardware; signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) calculations for AM and FM. Fundamentals of information theory and channel capacity theorem, Differential Pulse Code Modulation (DPCM), Digital communication systems Pulse Code Modulation (PCM), Digital modulation schemes: amplitude, phase and frequency shift keying schemes (ASK, PSK, FSK), Bandwidth consideration, matched filter receivers, and probability of error calculations for these schemes. Basics of TDMA, FDMA and CDMA, Fundamentals of optical fibre communication, Fundamentals of mobile communication.
- Microwave engineering: Wave guides, Klystrons, Waveguide components, Travelling Wave Tubes, Microwave measurements, Magnetron, Introduction to microstrip lines, Microwave semiconductor devices, Microwave network analysis, Monolithic microwave integrated circuits.
- Antenna and wave propagation: Antenna parameters, Reciprocity theorem, Radiation from a current element in free space, Resonant and non-resonant antenna, Effective length and aperture, gain, beamwidth, directivity, radiation resistance, efficiency, antenna temperature, polarization, impedance and directional characteristics of antenna. Phased array antenna, Reflection, refraction, interference and diffraction of radio waves, Mechanism of radio wave propagation. Theory of space wave, ground wave, sky wave and troposcatter propagation.
- Instrumentation: Accuracy, Electronic instruments for measuring basic parameters, precision and repeatability, Theory of Oscilloscopes, Signal analysers, Signal generators, Characteristics and construction of transducers.
- Computer networks: ISO/OSI stack, Flow and error control techniques, LAN technologies (Ethernet, Token ring), Congestion control, Pv4, TCP/UDP and sockets, Application layer protocols (icmp, dns, smtp, pop, ftp, http); Basic concepts of hubs, gateway, switches, and routers.
- Network theory design: Thevenin’s, Norton’s, Superposition, Reciprocity, Compensation, Miller’s, Tellegen’s and Maximum power transfer theorems, Impulse, ramp, step, and sinusoidal response analysis of first order and second order circuits. Application of Laplace transform, Two-port parameters and their interrelations, and Fourier series in the context of network analysis, Network synthesis.
- Switching theory: Traffic definitions, classification of switching systems, Introduction to switching networks, Grade of Service, Basics of Circuit switching and packet switching.
- Information technology: Fundamentals of operating system, Object Oriented Programming, RDBMS terminologies, Basics of computer graphics.
- Radar theory: Frequencies of operation, Radar range equation, fundamentals of Moving Target Indicator (MTI), Tracking radar, Pulse Doppler Radar.
Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
Specialization branch topics
- Engineering mechanics: Equations of equilibrium in space and its application; kinematics of particles for plane motion; first and second moments of area; simple problems on friction; elementary particle dynamics. Generalized Hooke’s law and its application; material properties for dynamic loading; design problems on axial stress, shear stress and bearing stress; bending shear and stresses in beams; material behaviour and design factors for dynamic load; determination of principle stresses and strains – analytical and graphical; design of circular shafts for bending and torsional load only; theories of failure; deflection of beam for statically determinate problems.
- Thermodynamics: Concept of entropy and reversibility; Basic concept of First law and second law of Thermodynamics; availability and unavailability and irreversibility. Classification and properties of fluids; effect of Mach number and compressibility; incompressible and compressible fluids flows; continuity momentum and energy equations; one dimensional isentropic flow; normal and oblique shocks; flow or fluids in duct with frictions that transfer. Flow through fans, blowers and compressors; design of fans and compressors; axial and centrifugal flow configuration.
- Theory of mechanics: Kinematic and dynamic analysis of plane mechanisms. Cams, Gears and epicyclic gear trains, flywheels, governors, balancing of single and multicylinder engines, Critical speeds and whirling of shafts, balancing of rigid rotors, linear vibration analysis of mechanical systems (single degree of freedom). Flywheels, balancing machines, balancing of rotors and reciprocating machinery, governors, free and forced vibration of damped and undamped single degree of freedom systems, whirling of shafts, isolation, gyroscope.
- Fluid mechanics/Hydraulic machines: Fluid flow concepts – Transport theorem – Potential flow – Dimensional Analysis – Fluid kinematics – Governing equations of Fluid flow -Viscous flow – Boundary Layer flows – Turbulence – Closed conduit flows – Hydrodynamic lubrication – Free surface flow – Compressible flows, Hydraulic Turbines: Reaction Turbines and Impulse – Centrifugal and Axial flow pumps.
- Manufacturing science: Foundry Technology, Special casting processes, Melting furnaces, Gating and riser design, Casting defects, TIG, MIG, Arc welding, submerged arc, Gas welding, resistance welding, Flash butt welding, Welding metallurgy, Solid-state welding, Forming Technology, Powder metallurgy.
- Material Science: Basic concepts on structure of solids; heat-treatment of steels; common ferrous and nonferrous materials and their applications; non-metals- plastics, ceramics, composite materials and nano-materials.
- Machine drawing: Development and Intersection of surfaces, materials, Conventional representation of machine elements, surface finish and tolerances – Sectional views and additional views – Drawing of Screw threads, Fasteners, locking devices, Keys and Cotters, Knuckle joints, Riveted Joints, Shaft Couplings and Bearings – Pipe Joints, Assembly and production drawings.
- Automotive engineering: Introduction, fuel system, power plant, electrical system and other electrical fittings, chassis and transmission, lubricating system and cooling systems, axles, clutches, propeller shafts and differential, steering gear mechanisms, Condition for correct steering, automotive air conditioning, Tyres, effect of working parameters on knocking, reduction of knocking; Forms of combustion chamber for SI and CI engines; rating of fuels; additives; emission.
- Power plant engineering: Steam power plant, steam condensers, steam boilers, cooling towers, cogeneration and combined cycles, hydroelectric power plants, nuclear power plants, power plant economics.
- Industrial engineering: System design: factory location- models or simple; plant layout – methods based; applications of engineering economic analysis and break-even analysis for product selection, Capacity planning and process selection; predetermined time standards. Forecasting methods based on regression and decomposition, design and balancing of multi model and stochastic assembly lines;System planning; f inventory management probabilistic inventory models for order time and order quantity determination; JIT systems; strategic sourcing; managing inter plant logistics.
- Flight mechanics: Atmosphere: Properties, standard atmosphere., Classification of aircraft, Airplane (fixed wing aircraft) configuration and various parts, Airplane performance: Pressure altitude; equivalent, calibrated, indicated air speeds; Primary flight instruments: Altimeter, ASI, VSI, Turn-bank indicator. Drag polar; takeoff and landing; steady climb & descent,-absolute and service ceiling; cruise climb, cruise, endurance or loiter; load factor, turning flight, V-n diagram; Winds: head, tail & crosswinds. Static stability: Angle of attack, sideslip; roll, pitch and yaw controls; longitudinal stick fixed and free stability, horizontal tail position and size; directional stability.
- Aircraft structures: Stress and Strain: Equations of equilibrium, strain displacement relationship, constitutive law, compatibility equations, plane stress and strain, Airy’s stress function. Flight Vehicle Structures: Characteristics of aircraft structures and materials, torsion, bending and flexural shear. Flexural shear flow in thin walled sections, Buckling, Failure theories, Loads on aircraft. Structural Dynamics: Damping and resonance, Free and forced vibration of discrete systems, Dynamics of continuous systems.
- Aerodynamics: Basic Fluid Mechanics: Helmholtz and Kelvin theorem, Incompressible irrotational flow, singularities and superposition, viscous flows, boundary layer on a flat plate. Airfoils and wings: Classification of airfoils, high lift devices, aerodynamic characteristics, Kutta Joukowski theorem; lift generation; wing theory; thin airfoil theory; induced drag; qualitative treatment of low aspect ratio wings. Viscous Flows: Flow separation, transition, introduction to turbulence, structure of a turbulent boundary layer. Compressible Flows: Dynamics and Thermodynamics of I-D flow, isentropic flow, normal shock, oblique shock.
AFCAT 2020 Exam Pattern
Refer to the examination pattern for efficient preparation for AFCAT 2020.
- Mode of examination: Conducted in online mode.
- Duration of examination: Exam is conducted for 2 hours for AFCAT and 45 minutes for EKT.
- Language of the question paper: Question paper is set in the English language.
- Type of questions: Objective questions (multiple choice questions) are asked in the exam.
- A number of questions: 100 questions in AFCAT and 50 questions in EKT are asked in the exam paper.
- Maximum marks: 150 marks for EKT and 300 marks for AFCAT are in the exam paper.
- Marking scheme:
- Distribution of question:
|Exam||Total Questions||Maximum Marks|