|Graduate Management Admission Test||Apply Now on Official GMAT Exam Website|
All candidates appearing for Rajasthan Administrative Services can note here the RAS 2016-2017 Exam Pattern for prelims and mains. This exam pattern of RAS exam highlights question and marks distributions.
Rajasthan Public Service Commission (RPSC) has the responsibility of executing all events of the RAS. RPSC releases RAS Syllabus and RAS Exam Pattern well before the exam thereby giving time to candidates to prepare for it. Several job seekers in Rajasthan appear for RAS exam each year. From the lakhs of candidates who apply and appear in preliminary exam, only few hundreds of them qualify for main exam as per the RAS 2016-2017 Result.
Get here RAS 2016-2017 preliminary exam syllabus, RAS 2016-2017 preliminary exam pattern, RAS 2016-2017 main exam syllabus, RAS 2016-2017 main exam pattern.
RAS Exam Pattern 2016-2017
RAS Mains Exam Pattern 2016-2017
he number of candidates to be admitted to the Main Examination will be 15 times the total approximate number of vacancies (category wise) to be filled in the year in the various Services and posts, but in the said range all those candidates who secure the same percentage of marks as may be fixed by the Commission for any lower range will be admitted to the Main Examination.
The written examination will consist of the following four papers which will be descriptive /analytical. A candidate must take all the papers listed below which will also consist of question paper of brief, medium, long answer and descriptive type question. The standard of General Hindi and General English will be that of Sr. Secondary Level. The time allowed for each paper shall be 3 hours.
|I||General Studies I||200||3 Hours|
|II||General Studies II||200||3 Hours|
|III||General Studies III||200||3 Hours|
|IV||General Hindi and General English||200||3 Hours|
|Part||No. of question||Marks per question||Word limit||Total marks|
|Part||No. of question||Marks per question||Word limit||Total marks|
|Part||No. of question||Marks per question||Word limit||Total marks|
RAS Main Exam Syllabus 2016-2017
Paper – I General Knowledge and General Studies
Unit I- History
Part A – History, Art, Culture, Literature, Tradition and Heritage of Rajasthan
- Major landmarks in the History of Rajasthan from Pre-historic time to close of 18th Century, Important dynasties, their administrative and revenue system
- Salient events of 19th & 20th centuries: Peasant & Tribal Movements. Political Awakening, Freedom Movement and Integration.
- Heritage of Rajasthan: Performing & fine Art, Handicraft and Architecture; Fairs, Festivals, Folk Music and Folk Dance.
- Important works of Rajasthani Literature and Dialects of Rajasthan.
- Saints , Lok Devtas and eminent personalities of Rajasthan
Part B – Indian History & Culture
- Indian heritage: Fine Art, Performing Art, Architecture & Literature from Indus Civilization to British Era.
- Religious Movements and religious philosophy in Ancient and Medieval India. History of Modern India from beginning of 19th Century to 1965 AD: Significant events, personalities and issues.
- Indian National Movement- Its various stages & streams, important contributors and contribution from different parts of the country.
- Socio-religious Reform Movements in 19th and 20th Century.
- Post Independence consolidation and reorganisation – Accession of princely states & Linguistic reorganisation of the states.
Part C – History of Modern World (up to 1950AD)
- Renaissance and Reformation.
- Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution.
- Imperialism and colonialism in Asia and Africa.
- Impact of World Wars.
Unit II- Economics
Part A- Indian Economy
- Major Sectors of Economy: Agriculture, Industry & Service- Current Status, Issues and Initiatives.
- Banking: Concept of Money supply & High Powered Money. Role and Functions of Central Bank & Commercial Banks, issues of NPA, Financial Inclusion. Monetary Policy- Concept, objectives & Instruments.
- Public Finance: Tax reforms in India- Direct & Indirect, subsidies- Cash Transfer and other related issues. Recent Fiscal Policy of India.
- Recent Trends in Indian Economy: Role of Foreign Capital, MNCs, PDS, FDI, Exim Policy, 12th Finance Commission, Poverty alleviation schemes.
Part B- World Economy
- Global Economic issues and trends: Role of World Bank, IMF & WTO.
- Concept of Developing, Emerging and Developed countries.
- India in global Scenario.
Part C- Economy of Rajasthan
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Dairy and Animal husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan.
- Industrial Sector- Growth and recent trends.
- Growth, Development & Planning with special reference to Rajasthan.
- Recent development and issues in service sector of Rajasthan.
- Major Development Projects of Rajasthan- their objectives and impact.
- Public Private Partnership Model for Economic Transformation in Rajasthan.
- Demographic Scenario of the State and its impact on Rajasthan Economy.
Unit III- Sociology, Management & Business Administration
Part A- Sociology
- Development of Sociological Thought in India.
- Social Values
- Caste Class & Occupation
- Varna, Ashram, Purusharth and Sanskar Vyavastha
- Issues and Problems of Society.
- Tribal community of Rajasthan: Bhil, Mina (Meena) and Garasia.
Part B- Management
- Management – Scope, concept, functions of Management – Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Direction, Coordination and Control, Decision-Making: concept, process and techniques.
- Modern concept of Marketing, Marketing Mix – Product, Price, Place and Promotion.
- Objective, concept of maximization of wealth, Sources of Finance – Short and Long term, Capital Structure, Cost of Capital.
- Concept and Main theories of Leadership and Motivation, Communication, Basics of recruitment, selection, induction, training & development and appraisal system.
Part C- Business Administration
- Techniques of analysis of Financial statements, Basics of Working Capital Management, Responsibility and Social Accounting.
- Meaning & Objectives of Auditing, Internal Control, Social, Performance and Efficiency Audit.
- Basics of different types of Budgeting, Budgetary control.
Paper –II General Knowledge and General Studies
Unit I- Logical Reasoning, Mental Ability and Basic Numeracy
- Logical Reasoning and Analytical Ability.
- Number Series, Letter Series, Coding –Decoding.
- Problems related to Relations.
- Shapes and their Sub-sections, Venn Diagram.
- Problems based on Clocks, Age and Calendar.
- Number system and order of Magnitude.
- Simultaneous Linear Equations in Two Variables.
- Ratio and Proportion, Compound Proportion.
- Square Root, Cube Root, H.C.F. and L.C.M.
- Percentage, Simple and Compound Interest.
- Time and Work, Speed and Distance.
- Area and Perimeter of Simple Geometrical Shapes, Volume and Surface Area of Sphere, Cone, Cylinder and Cuboids.
- Trigonometry Ratios and Angles.
- Data Analysis (Tables, Bar-Graph, Line Graph, Pie-Chart).
- Measures of Central Tendency, Mean, Mode, Median, Standard Deviation and Variance.
Unit II- General Science & Technology
- Motion, laws of motion, work energy and power, rotational motion, gravitation, simple harmonic motion, waves.
- Properties of matter, electrostatics, current electricity, moving charge and magnetism.
- Ray optics, Photo electric effect, Nuclear physics, semi conductor devices.
- Electromagnetic waves, communication systems , basics of computers, use of information technology in administration, e-governance and e- commerce, contributions of Indian scientists in the development of science.
- States of matter, Atomic structure, chemical bonding and molecular structure, equilibriums.
- Thermodynamics, kinetic theory of gases, solid state, solutions, electro chemistry, Chemical kinetics.
- Characteristic feature of life.
- Nutrition in organisms.
- Principal of inheritance and variation.
- Human health and diseases.
- Biotechnology and its applications.
- Bio diversity and conservation.
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Dairy and Animal Husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan.
Unit III- Earth Science (Geography & Geology)
Part A- World
- Broad Physical Feature: Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Lakes and Glaciers.
- Earthquakes and Volcanoes: Types, distribution and their impact.
- Earth and its Geological time scale..
- Current Geopolitical Problems.
Part B- India
- Broad Physical Features: Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Lakes and Glaciers.
- Major Physiographic divisions of India.
- Climate- Origin of Monsoon, Seasonal Climatic conditions, Distribution of rainfall and climatic regions,
- Natural Resources: (a) Water, Forest, Soil (b) Rocks & Mineral: Types and their uses.
- Population: Growth, Distribution and Density, Sex-ratio, Literacy, urban and Rural Population.
Part C- Rajasthan
- Broad Physical Features: Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Rivers and Lakes.
- Major Physiographic Regions.
- Natural Vegetation and Climate.
- Livestock, Wildlife and its Conversation.
- Agriculture- Major Crops.
- Mineral Resources: (i) Metallic Minerals- Types, distribution and Industrial uses and their conservation. (ii)Non- Metallic Minerals- Types, distribution and Industrial uses and their conservation.
- Energy Resources: Conventional and Non-conventional.
- Population and Tribes.
Paper-III General Knowledge and General Studies
Unit I- Indian Political System, World Politics and Current Affairs
- Indian Constitution: Framing, Features, Amendments, Basic Structure.
- Ideological Contents: Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles of State Policy, Fundamental Duties.
- Institutional framework- I: Parliamentary System, President, Prime Minister and Council of Ministers, Parliament.
- Institutional Framework- II: Federalism, Centre-State relations, Supreme Court, High Courts, Judicial Review, Judicial Activism.
- Institutional Framework- III: Election Commission of India, Comptroller and Auditor General, Union Public Service Commission, NITI Aayog, Central Vigilance Commission, Central Information Commission, National Human Rights Commission.
- Political Dynamics: Role of Cast, Religion, Class, Ethnicity, Language and Gender in Indian Politics, Political Parties and Electoral Behaviour, Civil Society and Political Movement, Issues related to National Integrity and Security. Potential areas of Socio-Political conflicts.
- State Politics of Rajasthan: Party System, Political Demography, Different phases of Political competition in Rajasthan, Panchayati Raj and Urban self Government Institutions.
- Emerging World Order in the post Cold War era, USA’s hegemony and its resistance, UN and Regional Organizations, International Terrorism and Environmental issues.
- Foreign Policy of India: Evolution, Determinants, India’s relations with USA, China, Russia and European Union, India’s role in UN, NAM, BRICS, G- 20, G- 77 and SAARC.
- Geo-political and Strategic development in South Asia, South East Asia and West Asia and their impact on India.
- Current Affairs: Current events, persons and places of Rajasthan, National and international importance, recent activities related to games and sports.
Unit II- Concepts, Issues and Dynamics of Public Administration and Management
- Administration and management: Meaning, nature and significance. Its role in developed & developing societies. Evolution of Public Administration as a discipline, new public administration, Theories of public administration.
- Concepts of power, authority, legitimacy, responsibility and delegation.
- Principles of organization: Hierarchy, Span of control and unity of command.
- Functions of management, Corporate governance and social responsibility.
- New dimensions of public management, management of change.
- Aptitude and foundational values of civil services: integrity, impartiality, and non partisanship, dedication to public service, relationship between generalists and specialists.
- Legislative & Judicial control over administration: various methods and techniques of legislative & judicial control.
- Administrative setup, administrative culture in Rajasthan: Governor, Chief Minister, Council of Ministers, State Secretariat and Chief Secretary.
- District administration: organization, role of District Collector and Superintendent of Police, Sub-divisional and Tehsil administration.
- Development Administration: Meaning, Scope and Characteristics.
- State Human Rights Commission, State Election Commission, Lokayukt, Rajasthan Public Service Commission, Public Service Guarantee Act, 2011.
Unit III- Administrative Ethics, Behavior and Law
Part A- Administrative Ethics
- Administrative Ethics: Ethics and human interface: Essence, Determinants and Consequences of ethic and human actions-Moral values (rights and Duties; Good and Virtues), Cardinal virtues of Plato, Utilitarianism- J.S. Mill, Freedom of will and moral responsibility.
- Kantian ethics, Ethics of Bhagavad Gita and its role in administration.
- Dimension of ethics: Role of administrators in society and educational institution in the inculcating.
- Ethics in private and public relationships– Behaviour, Moral and Political attitudes of administrators.
Part B – Behavior
- Intelligence: Cognitive intelligence, Social intelligence, Emotional intelligence, Cultural intelligence and Howard Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligence.
- Personality: Psychoanalytical theories, Trait and Type theories, Determinants of personality and Assessment of personality.
- Learning and Motivation: styles of learning, Models of memory, causes of forgetting. Classification and types of motives, Theories of work motivation, Assessment of motivation.
- Meeting Life Challenges: Stress: Nature, type, Sources, Symptoms, Effects, Stress Management, Promotion of Positive health and well being.
- Concepts of Law: Ownership and possession, Personality, Liability, Rights and Duties.
- Contemporary Legal issues: Right to information, Information technology law including cyber laws (concepts, purpose, prospects), Intellectual Property Rights (concepts, types, purpose, prospects).
- Crimes against Women and Children: Domestic Violence, Sexual Harassment the work place, the protection of children from sexual offenses Act 2012, Laws related to child labour.
- Important Land Laws in Rajasthan: Rajasthan Land Revenue Act, 1956; Rajasthan Tenancy Act, 1955.
Paper – IV General Hindi and General English
General English (Total marks 80)
Part A- Grammar & Usage (20 Marks)
- Correction of Sentences: 10 sentences for correction with errors related to: Articles & Determiners.
- Tenses & Sequence of Tenses.
- Voice- Active & Passive.
- Narration- Direct & Indirect.
- Synonyms & Antonyms.
- Phrasal Verbs & Idioms.
- One Word Substitute.
- Words often Confused or Misused.
Part B- Comprehension, Translation & Precis Writing (30 Marks)
- Comprehension of an Unseen Passage (250 Words approximately) 05 Questions based on the passage. Question No. 05 should preferably be on vocabulary.
- Translation of five sentences from Hindi to English.
- Precis Writing (a short passage of approximately 150-200 words).
Part C- Composition & Letter Writing (30 Marks)
- Paragraph Writing- Any 01 paragraph out of 03 given topics (approximately 200 words).
- Elaboration of a given theme (Any 1 out of 3, approximately 150 words).
- Letter Writing or Report Writing (approximately 150 words).
RAS Preliminary Exam Pattern 2016-2017
The Preliminary Examination will consist of one paper on the subject specified below, which will be of objective type and carry a maximum of 200 marks. The examination is meant to serve as a screening test only.
The Standard of the paper will be that of a Bachelor’s Degree Level. The marks obtained in the Preliminary Examination by the candidates, who are declared qualified for admission to Main Examination will not be counted for determining their final order of merit.
|I||General Knowledge and General Science||200||3 Hours|
- There will be 150 questions of multiple choice (Objective Type), carrying equal marks.
- There will be negative marking.1/3 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
RAS Preliminary Exam Syllabus 2016-2017
History, Art, Culture, Literature, Tradition & Heritage of Rajasthan
- Major Landmarks in the History of Rajasthan, Major Dynasties, their Administrative and Revenue System. Socio-cultural Issues.
- Freedom Movement , Political Awakening and Integration.
- Salient features of Architecture – Forts and Monuments.
- Arts, Paintings and Handicrafts.
- Important Works of Rajasthani literature. Local Dialects.
- Fairs, Festivals, Folk Music and Folk Dances.
- Rajsathani Culture, Traditions and Heritage.
- Religious Movements, Saints& Lok devtas of Rajasthan.
- Important Tourist Places.
- Leading Personalities of Rajasthan.
Ancient & Medieval Period:
- Salient features and Major Landmarks of Ancient and Medieval India.
- Art, Culture, Literature and Architecture.
- Major Dynasties, Their Administrative System. Socio-Economic Conditions, Prominent Movements.
- Modern Indian history (from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present)- significant events, personalities and issues.
- The Freedom Struggle & Indian National Movement- its various stages and important contributors and contributions from different parts of the country.
- Social and Religious Reform movements in the 19th and 20th century.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
Geography of World and India
- Broad Physical features.
- Environmental and Ecological Issues.
- Wildlife and Bio-diversity.
- International Waterways.
- Major Industrial Regions.
Geography of India:
- Broad physical features and Major physiographic divisions.
- Agriculture and Agro based Activities.
- Minerals – Iron, Manganese, Coal, Oil & Gas, Atomic minerals.
- Major Industries and Industrial development.
- Transportation– major transport corridors.
- Natural Resources.
- Environmental Problems and Ecological Issues.
Geography of Rajasthan
- Broad physical features and Major physiographic divisions.
- Natural Resource of Rajasthan-
- Climate, Natural Vegetation, Forests, Wildlife and Bio-diversity.
- Major irrigation projects.
- Mines and Minerals.
- Major Industries and Potential for Industrial Development.
Indian Constitution, Political System & Governance
- Constitutional Development & Indian Constitution : Government of India Acts: 1919 and 1935, Constituent Assembly, Nature of Indian Constitution; Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles of State, Fundamental Duties, Federal Structure, Constitutional Amendments, Emergency Provisions, Public Interest Litigation (P.I.L.) and Judicial Review.
- Indian Political System and Governance : Nature of Indian State, Democracy in India, Reorganization of States, Coalition Governments, Political Parties, National Integration. Union and State Executive; Union and State Legislative, Judiciary President, Parliament, Supreme Court, Election Commission, Comptroller and Auditor General, Planning Commission, National Development Council, Central Vigilance Commission (CVC), Central Information Commission , Lokpal, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC). Local Self Government & Panchayati Raj.
- Public Policy & Rights:
- National Public Policy as a welfare state.
- Various Legal Rights and Citizen Charter
Political and Administrative System of Rajasthan
- Governor, Chief Minister, State Assembly, High Court, Rajasthan Public Service Commission, District Administration, State Human Rights Commission, Lokayukt, State Election Commission, State Information Commission.
- Public Policy, Legal Rights and Citizen Charter.
Economic Concepts and Indian Economy
Basic Concepts of Economics
- Basic Knowledge of Budgeting, Banking, Public Finance, National Income, Growth and Development.
- Accounting- Concept, Tools and Uses in Administration.
- Stock Exchange and Share Market.
- Fiscal and Monetary Policies.
- Subsidies, Public Distribution System.
- Inflation- Concept, Impact and Control Mechanism.
Economic Development & Planning : –
- 5 Year Plans – Objectives, Strategies and Achievements.
- Major Sectors of Economy- Agriculture, Industry, Service and Trade- Current Status, Issues & initiatives.
- Major Economic Problems and Government Initiatives. Economic Reforms and Liberalization.
Human Resource and Economic Development :-
- Human Development Index.
- Poverty and Unemployment:- Concept, Types, Causes, Remedies and Current Flagship Schemes.
Social Justice and Empowerment:-
Provisions for Weaker Sections.
Economy of Rajasthan
- Macro overview of Economy.
- Major Agricultural, Industrial and Service Sector Issues.
- Growth, Development and Planning.
- Infrastructure & Resources.
- Major Development Projects.
- Programmes and Schemes- Government Welfare Schemes for SC/ST/Backward Class/Minorities/Disabled Persons, Destitute, Women, Children, Old Age People, Farmers & Labourers.
Science & Technology
- Basics of Everyday Science.
- Electronics, Computers, Information and Communication Technology.
- Space Technology including Satellites.
- Defence Technology.
- Human body, Food and Nutrition, Health care.
- Environmental and Ecological Changes and its Impacts.
- Biodiversity, Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering.
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry and Animal Husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan.
- Development of Science and Technology in Rajasthan.
Reasoning & Mental Ability
Logical Reasoning (Deductive, Inductive, Abductive):
- Statement and Assumptions, Statement and Argument, Statements and Conclusion, Courses of Action.
- Analytical Reasoning.
Mental Ability :
Number series, Letter series, Odd man out, Coding-Decoding, Problems relating to Relations, Shapes and their sub sections.
Basic Numeracy :
- Elementary knowledge of Mathematical and Statistical Analysis.
- Number System, Order of Magnitude, Ratio and Proportion, Percentage, Simple and Compound Interest, Data Analysis (Tables, Bar diagram, Line graph, Pie-chart).
- Major Current Events and Issues of State(Rajasthan), National and International Importance.
- Persons and Places in recent news.
- Games and Sports related Activities.