The Odisha Public Service Commission was founded on 1st April 1949 after the partition from the former Bihar and Odisha Joint Public Service Commission. The Odisha Public Service Commission Recruitment is for the candidates who different posts/services belonging to Group ‘B’ and above under the State Government. Candidates can refer this article for the detail of Odisha Civil Services Examination.
Odisha Civil Services Examination
The pre-exam of Odisha Civil Services is held in the month February. Candidates who appear for the Odisha Civil Services Exam can check the latest dates for Recruitment from the table below.
|Availability of Application form||30 Nov 2017|
|Date of Preliminary Examination||18 Feb 2018|
|Date of Main Examination||25 Jun to 18 Jul 2018|
Odisha Civil Services Vacancy Details
|S.No.||Post/Service||Scale of Pay|
|1||Odisha Administrative Service, Group-A (JB)||Rs. 56,100/- in Level-12-Cell-1 in the 1st schedule of Pay Matrix provided under Rule-3 of ORSP Rules|
|2||Odisha Police Service, Group-A (JB)||Rs. 56,100/- in Level-12-Cell-1 in the 1st schedule of Pay Matrix provided under Rule-3 of ORSP Rules|
|3||Odisha Finance Service, Group-A (JB)||Rs. 56,100/- in Level-12-Cell-1 in the 1st schedule of Pay Matrix provided under Rule-3 of ORSP Rules|
|1||Odisha Co-operative Service, Group-B||Rs. 44,900/- in Level-12-Cell-1 in the 1st schedule of Pay Matrix provided under Rule-3 of ORSP Rules|
|2||Odisha Revenue Service, Group-B||Rs. 44,900/- in Level-12-Cell-1 in the 1st schedule of Pay Matrix provided under Rule-3 of ORSP Rules|
|3||Odisha Taxation & Account Service, Group-B||Rs. 44,900/- in Level-12-Cell-1 in the 1st schedule of Pay Matrix provided under Rule-3 of ORSP Rules|
- A candidate must be a citizen of India.
- A candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree from any University incorporated by an Act of the Central or a State Legislature in India or an Educational Institution established by an Act of Parliament or deemed to be a University under Section-3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 or a Foreign University approved by the Central Government.
Other Eligibility Conditions
- He/she must be able to read, write and speak Odia and have-
- passed Middle School Examination with Odia as a Language subject; or
- passed High School Certificate or equivalent examination with Odia as a medium of examination in a non-language subject; or
- passed in Odia as a language subject in the final examination of Class-VII from a School or educational Institution recognized by the Government of Odisha or the Central Government; or
- passed a test in Odia in Middle English School Standard conducted by the School & Mass Education Department of the Government of Odisha.
- A candidate, who has more than one spouse living or in case of a woman candidate, if married to a person having one spouse living, shall not be eligible for appearing at the examination:
- Provided that the State Government may if satisfied that such marriage is permissible under the Personal Law applicable to such person or there are other grounds for so doing, exempt any person from the operation of this rule.
- Government Servants, whether permanent or temporary, are eligible to appear at the Examination, provided they possess the requisite qualification and are within the prescribed age limit as provided under Para-7 of the Advertisement. However, they are required to submit an undertaking to the effect that they have informed in writing to their Head of Office /Department that they have applied for the Examination. Further, they will be required to enclose an attested copy of the “No Objection Certificate” issued by the competent authority with the Hard copy of Online Application Form to be submitted after qualifying in the Preliminary Written Examination for appearing at the Main Written Examination.
- Candidates should note that in case a communication is received from their employer by the Commission withholding permission to the candidates applying for/ appearing at the examination, their applications will be liable to be rejected/ candidature will be liable to be cancelled.
- If a candidate has, at any time, been debarred for a certain period/chance(s) by the Odisha Public Service Commission or other State Public Service Commission or U.P.S.C. from appearing at any Examination/Interview, he/she will not be eligible for such recruitment for that specified period/ chance(s).
- Only those candidate, who possess the requisite qualification and fulfill other eligibility conditions by the closing date of online applications will be considered eligible.
- The period of probation will be applicable as prescribed m the recruitment rules of different services.
- A candidate must be in good mental condition and body healthy and free from any physical defect likely to interfere with the discharge of his/her duties as an officer of the Service/Post. A candidate, who, after such medical examination, as the Government may prescribe, is not found to satisfy these requirements, will not be appointed.
OAS Recruitment Examination Scheme
The civil services exam will be conducted in three stages namely Preliminary exam, main exam and personal interview or personality test.
The preliminary exam comprises of two papers. Both papers are objective type exams. Each exam is of 2 hours. The paper-II of the prelims is a General studies exam which is a qualifying exam. Candidates need to score 33% marks to qualify the exam. Both the papers are of 200 marks. Candidates who qualify the prelims are called for the main exam
|Paper – I||Paper – II|
The main exam of the OCSE comprises of questions from Odia language, English, English essay, General studies I & II and 2 optional subjects. It is a 3 hours exam for each paper.
The total marks for the compulsory papers are 1400. Whereas, the optional papers based on the two subjects selected by the candidates. Two papers for each subject of 300 marks. The total marks for the optional papers is of 1200 marks.
|Compulsory Papers – 1400 Marks|
|Paper I||Odia Language||300 Marks|
|Paper II||English||300 Marks|
|Paper III||English Essay||300 Marks|
|Paper IV||General Studies-I||300 Marks|
|Paper V||General Studies-II||300 Marks|
|Optional Papers (2 Subjects) – 1200 Marks|
|Paper VI||Choice Of Subject||300 Marks|
|Paper VII||Choice Of Subject||300 Marks|
|Paper VIII||Choice Of Subject||300 Marks|
|Paper IX||Choice Of Subject||300 Marks|
Candidates who obtain the minimum qualifying exam in the main exam will qualify for the personal interview round. The objective of this round is to test the mental caliber of the candidate.
List Of Optional Subjects For OAS Mains Exam
Candidates can choose their optional subjects from the list of subjects mentioned below.
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
- Agricultural Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce & Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Fisheries Science
- Home Science
- Indian Language & Literature
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science
- Public Administration
Physical Standards for OAS Recruitment
Candidates should note that they need to fulfill various standards as per the officials. The standard set height, chest girth to qualify for the Odisha Police Service. Please refer to the table below to get an idea about the set norms. However, please go through the advertisement released by OPSC to know detailed information about the physical standards.
|Men (UR/SESB/SC)||165 cm||84 cm||5 cm|
|Men (ST)||160 cm||84 cm||5 cm|
|Women (UR/SESB/SC)||150 cm||79 cm||5 cm|
|Women (ST)||145 cm||79 cm||5 cm|
Exam Zones for OAS Recruitment
There are 5 state zonal centers for the Odisha Civil Services Prelims & Mains Examination. Applicants during the registration process will be required to choose an exam zone for appearing in the exam. Zones once submitted will not be changed. The zonal Exam centers for the OAS Recruitment is mention below.