UPSC CMS Preparation 2021 – The Union Public Service Commission Combined Medical Services (UPSC CMS) is a national level exam. Each year, lakhs of candidates appear for the exam to join Medical Officer in various organizations. And with this, there has been a substantial increase in difficulty level. UPSC CMS preparation tips are as important as hard work for the exam. With the right approach, candidates can crack the UPSC CMS exam 2021 in one attempt with an excellent All India Rank. In this article, we are sharing some of the preparation tips shared by UPSC CMS AIR. Aspirants who will be appearing for the exam anytime soon can check the UPSC CMS Preparation 2021 from this article.
UPSC CMS Preparation 2021
Before going right to the preparation tips, candidates should first know the basics based on which questions are asked in the exam. They should go through the UPSC CMS Syllabus and exam pattern first. It will help to know the important topics, duration of exam, distribution of questions.
UPSC CMS Syllabus 2021
Without the full knowledge of the syllabus, it is tough to have a good UPSC CMS preparation strategy and method. There are two papers in the CMS exam – Paper 1 and Paper 2. Check the UPSC CMS Syllabus from below:
UPSC CMS Paper 1 Syllabus
- General medicine
UPSC CMS Paper 2 Syllabus
- General surgery
- Gynaecology and obstetrics
- Preventive social and community service
UPSC CMS Exam Pattern 2021
Aspirants can now check the UPSC CMS scheme of exam below.
- Mode: Computer Based Test
- Language: English.
- Duration: 02 hours
- Types of questions: Objective type paper.
- Max. marks: Each paper carries 250 marks each.
- Marking scheme: Negative marking of 1/3rd of positive marks.
Distribution of questions
|Paper I||Number of questions|
|General Medicine||96 questions|
|Total Questions||120 questions|
|Gynaecology & Obstetrics||40 questions|
|Preventive & Social Medicine||40 questions|
|Total Questions||120 questions|
Preparation Tips for UPSC CMS 2021
The written exam for UPSC CMS is difficult to crack however it not impossible. Aspirants should always keep one thing clear that they only need to acquire that one seat for themselves. For this, they should prepare for the exam strategically considering the vast syllabus. The list is some preparation strategies that are common and universal but are valid for all exam takers. Candidates can read them and imply if they find them useful and apt. These also include tips from the past toppers who have cleared the exam.
- First and foremost, know the syllabus. Without a syllabus and pattern of exam, it will be confusing to prepare for the CMS exam. Take as much as it requires to cover every topic of the syllabus.
- No one can deny the importance of UPSC CMS Question Papers. It will give a candidate everything they want for preparation. with the previous year papers, candidates can practise, know the important topics, build time management.
- According to Dr Aravind C, candidates should start their preparation at least 6 months before the exam. This provides enough time to complete the syllabus and also to practice the mock tests.
- As mentioned, candidates should prepare mock tests and sample papers. This helps them to understand what types of questions can be asked in the exam. There plenty of UPSC CMS mock test for free available on the internet.
- This is a very common and useful strategy to prepare well for the exam. This is to separate the topics which carry higher weightage and topics which don’t know and are not prepared for it. This segregation will help the candidate to focus first on these topics and then later on on the left topics.
How to Prepare for CMS 2021 Personality Test
On qualifying the written exam, shortlisted candidates become eligible for the final round i.e personality test. This stage is organized for 100 marks. Candidates will be asked questions regarding the General Knowledge and ability of the candidates in the fields of their academic study. As it is a face to face round, several aspirants tend to lack confidence. So, go through the topics of the preparation to crack the CMS personality test below.
- The personality test is designed to assess the candidate’s intellectual curiosity, critical powers of assimilation, the balance of judgment and alertness of mind, the ability for social cohesion, the integrity of character, initiative and capability for leadership etc.
- Be realistic, don’t make up things. Interview tends to look for candidates who are honest. If you do not know anything admit it.
- The first impression is always made through dress. So, dress up in formal clothing for the interview.
- Pay attention to the questions asked and give the answer to the point.
- Stay calm and maintain posture during the interview.
- Taking Mock interviews helps as it prepares the candidate mentally for the interview.
Read more: UPSC CMS Mock Test
UPSC CMS Preparation Tips from Topper
What is better than an AIR holder spills beans on how he cracked the exam and secured AIR 9 in a national level exam. Dr Rajat Gupta, UPSC CMS 2019-2020 AIR 1, shared some of his secrets on how he cleared this exam. Dr Gupta in an interview with DAMSDelhi – PG Medical Entrance Coaching shared how he improved his scores and secured first rank.
Best Books for UPSC CMS Preparation 2021
Reference books play a major role in the preparation of a national level test like CMS. In these reference books, candidates can get all sought of resources starting from previous year papers, mock tests, sample papers etc. Aspirants can practise with these books and learn more about the topics asked in the exam. Here is the list of some highly recommended preparation books for the UPSC CMS exam.
|Books for UPSC CMS Preparation||Buy Here|
|Prasad Comprehensive Guide To Combined Medical Services UPSC/CMS||Check Price|
|‘COMPREHENSIVE SOLUTIONS’ Combined Medical Services (CMS) UPSC:- Solved Papers I & II||Check Price|
|Target UPSC CMS||Check Price|
|Clinical Methods in Medicine Clinical Skills and Practices For Paper II||Check Price|
|The Essentials of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology||Check Price|
Books for interview round:
|Book name||Buy here|
|The UPSC Interview Deciphering the Personality Test by Pranav Mahajan.||Check Price|
|Interview for UPSC and other examinations by Madhukar Bhagat||Check Price|
About UPSC CMS
The exam for the post of a medical officer, Combined Medical Services (CMS) is conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Candidates must have passed the written and practical exam of the MBBS exam of the final year. The maximum age required for UPSC CMS is 32 years. The selection for the post of CMS is done in 2 stages which are written exam and personality test or interview round. Before the interview round, a document verification round is also conducted to check the eligibility of the candidates.