UPSC CMS Preparation 2022 – UPSC Combined Medical Services Examination (UPSC CMS) is an annual nationwide exam held by the Union Public Service Commission of India. UPSC CMS is a national level competition exam conducted to recruit eligible candidates to posts such as Junior Scale Posts in Central Health Service, Assistant Divisional Medical Officer, General Duty Medical Officer etc. Candidates who are appearing for CMS exam should start their preparation with CMS syllabus and exam pattern. To know more about how to prepare for UPSC CMS exam, read this entire article.
UPSC CMS Preparation 2022
One thing that aspirants wish to know before appearing for the CMS exam is “How to Prepare for UPSC CMS?“. As this is a national level exam, aspirants wish to know how to start the preparation for CMS exam as a beginner. The best way to achieve that lead is to prepare for CMSE using strategies adopted by the previous year toppers. Below given are some consolidated tips and tricks obtained from the strategies of previous year UPSC CMS toppers.
- As candidates already know, understanding and covering the syllabus is very important when it comes to any exam. Candidates should also pay attention to the exam pattern of UPSC CMS exam to better understand the weightage
- Keep revision notes handy. Flash cards with repeatedly asked questions and short facts will also be helpful in revision.
- Subject wise short notes in your own handwriting are also really helpful.
- Starting early is also highly encouraged by toppers and coaching faculty alike. Candidates are asked to start preparing 6 months to a year before the commencement of the exam.
- Dr. Rajat (UPSC Medical Rank- 1) also recommends that the candidates do MCQs as sometimes the exact same questions maybe asked during the actual examination. so do multiple
- Candidates can do their strength-weakness analysis through attempting multiple mock tests. This gives the candidates on where to improve.
- Previous year question papers are a must to prepare for UPSC CMS exam.
- Preparing using other medical exams like NEET, AIMS, JIPMER etc. will also be extremely useful.
- Simulating the actual exam as much as possible will help the candidate in getting acquainted with not only the questions but also the structure of the examination. This can be achieved by timing the test as well as solving timed MCQ based exams.
- AIIMS capsule notes are available online. These are efficient tools when it comes to UPSC CMS
- Staying motivated and being consistent is also a great way to ensure progress.
UPSC CMS Exam Preparation Books
While aspirants are preparing for the exam, they should make a list of the best books for the CMS exam separately. There are plenty of books available online for the CMS exam, however, one can crack exam only with a few books which suits them the best. We have created a list of books for the CMS exam below for preparation
- Bailey & Love’s Short Practice Of Surgery, 27th Edition: International Student’s Edition (Set Volume 1 & 2)
- Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, Twentieth Edition (Vol.1 & Vol.2) 20th Edition: – Volume I & Volume II
- Rapid Digest UPSC Combined Medical Services Examination 16th Edition 2021 by Arun Yadav Koley
- Prasad Comprehensive Guide To combined Medical Services (UPSC) 8th Edition by Prakash Nayak Rajeev Kumar
- Prasad Comprehensive Guide To Combined Medical Services UPSC/CMS (2001-2019) Solved Questions 7th Edition 2020
- Comprehensive Solutions Combined Medical Services (Cms) UPSC by Dr.Afsar Khan
- UPSC CMS 2020 Solved Paper by Dr. Singaram
UPSC CMS Syllabus 2022
Given is a brief overview of the subjects added to the UPSC CMS syllabus:
UPSC CMS Paper I syllabus
- General medicine
UPSC CMS Paper II syllabus
- General surgery
- Gynaecology and obstetrics
- Preventive social and community service
UPSC CMS Exam Pattern
UPSC CMS takes place in two stages – Paper I and Paper II. Both Paper I and Paper II will be of objective type and in multiple choice questions or MCQ format.
- Mode of exam: Online
- Duration of exam: 120 minutes each for Paper I and Paper II
- Type of questions: Multiple choice questions
- Total marks: 500 marks for the written exam
- Number of questions: 120 questions each in Paper I and Paper II
- Marking scheme : (-0.33) marks deducted for wrong answers
- g scheme : 0.33 negative marking for incorrect answers
|Papers||Duration of Exam||No. Of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Paper I||2 hours||120||250|
|Paper II||2 hours||120||250|
About UPSC CMS Examination
UPSC Combined Medical Services Exam or UPSC CMS exam is a nationwide competitive exam held every year by the Union Public Service Commission of India. This examination is conducted every year to recruit medical professionals to posts like Junior Scale Posts in Central Health Service, Assistant Divisional Medical Officer, General Duty Medical Officer etc. In order to be considered eligible to apply for UPSC CMS Exam, the candidate must have completed their M.B.B.S or should be in their final year. The exam will be conducted in two steps _ Computer based Test and Interview
UPSC CMS Preparation 2022 FAQs
Ans. No, UPSC CMS Exam has a difficulty level of moderate to high.
Ans. First, know the detailed CMS syllabus and exam pattern. Determine the important topics asked in CMS exam based on the previous year question papers. Start making notes with the help of books and keep updating yourself with latest changes and infos.
Ans. UPSC MS interview is as important as written examination. As it is a national level exam, the interview procedure is also tough. Questions are basically asked from practical knowledge, presence of mind and decision taking capabilities.
Ans. UPSC CMS is an online examination (computer-based test)