Union Public Service Commision (UPSC) conducts Civil Services Examination, consist of the Preliminary and Main stages. The Prelim exam is an objective type exam. On the other hand, the Main Exam for the civil services is subject type of exam. The candidates who will be shortlisted by the prelim exam are only eligible for the main exam. The main exam will also include interview process. The candidates can get the detailed information regarding the UPSC Civil Services / IAS Exam from this page.
UPSC Civil Services Exam / IAS Exam
The candidates who will get through Prelims, Main and Interview round are selected for the Indian Administrative Service, Indian Foreign Service, Indian Police Service and other posts of Group ‘A’. The candidates can check the exam dates related to UPSC Civil Services / IAS from the table below.
|UPS Civil Services Exam||Dates|
|UPS Civil Services (IAS) 2018|
|UPS Civil Services (IAS) 2018 Preliminary Exam||03 Jun 2018|
|UPS Civil Services (IAS) 2018 Main Exam||28, 29, 30 Sep & 06, 07 Oct 2018|
|UPS Civil Services (IAS) 2019|
|UPS Civil Services (IAS) 2019 Preliminary Exam||Jun 2019|
|UPS Civil Services (IAS) 2019 Main Exam||Oct 2019|
UPSC Civil Services Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for the candidates for UPSC IAS Exam is given below.
Nationality: The candidate must be the citizen of India for the Indian Administrative service and Indian Poice Service.
Age Limit: The age of the candidates must be between 21 and 32 years on August 01. The relaxation in the upper limit of the age are also applicable for reserved categories.
Number of Attempts: The candidates can check the number of attempts for IAS 2018 from the points given below.
- The candidate who is eligible to appear for the exam shall be provided 6 attempts for the exam. This restriction is not permissible for the SC/ST candidates.
- The OBC category candidates will be granted 9 attempts for the exam.
- The physically handicapped candidates of General category will be provided 9 attempts whereas for the other physically handicapped candidates will be given as many attempts as given to the non-physically handicapped candidate of that community.
Note: The candidates must check the information given below.
- If the candidate is attempting the prelim exam, then it will be counted as one attempt to civil services exam.
- If the candidate will appear for any one paper of prelim exam, then it will be considered as one attempt to civil services exam.
- If any candidate will be disqualified from the exam, then it will be added to his/her attempt.
Restriction on Applying for the Exam: These are the following restrictions for the candidates at the time of applying:
- If any candidate who had appointed for the Indian Administrative Service or the Indian Foreign Service on the basis of the result of the earlier exam and he/she is again giving the exam, then they will not be allowed to appear for the exam.
- If the candidate has been appointed as IAS/IFS after the prelim exam and he/she has continued to the service, so they are not eligible for the main exam.
- If the candidate has been appointed as IAS/IFS after the main exam and he/she has continued to the service, so they not be appointed to any service/post on the basis of the result of this examination.
UPSC Civil Services Exam Pattern
The candidates will have to take two exams for the selection of UPSC IAS recruitment. The details are given below.
Preliminary Exam: The Prelim Exam will be a screening test for the candidates. The prelim exam will consist of two papers. General Studies Paper-I and General Studies Paper-II. The total marks for the prelim exam will be 400. The candidates who will score minimum qualifying marks 33% in the General Studies Paper-II and total qualifying marks in the General Studies Paper-I will be shortlisted by the commission for the main exam. The marks of the prelim exam will not play any role in making the final Merit List. The points related to the prelim exam are as given.
- Total Marks will be 400.
- There will be negative marking of 1/3 i.e. 0.33 for any wrong answer.
- If the candidate will give more than one answer then that answer will be assumed as the wrong answer.
- There will be no penalty for the unattempted question.
The candidates who will be shortlisted by Prelim Exam will appear the main exam.
Main Exam: The main exam will include the written exam as well as the interview round. The written exam will consist of 9 tests. The details regarding written exam can be seen from the table below.
The candidates who will get maximum marks and will get the good score in Interview will be selected for the various posts.
Click here to know more details about the exam pattern.
UPSC Statistical Data
|Year of Exam||No of Candidates Appeared|
|Year Of Exam||Vacancies||Candidates Recommended|