Thousands of engineers dream of landing a job in the prestigious PSUs. It is evident that PSU Recruitment Through GATE 2018 is a significant reason for the increase in GATE applicants. The Public Sector Undertakings consider raw as well as the normalized score of GATE, depending on their selection policy. Apart from the GATE Score, the PSU might also conduct a written examination and personal interview for selection. Hence GATE is a part of the recruitment albeit an essential one. The selection policy of each PSU is unique and is announced in the detailed notification. The candidates interested in working with a PSU may check more details on PSU Recruitment via GATE 2018 from this page.
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all-India entrance examination for admissions to postgraduate programmes (M.Tech, M.E., Ph.D). A total of 23 papers are conducted under it by IITs. The conducting body for GATE 2018 is IIT Guwahati and it will conduct the exam on February 3, 4, 10, and 11, 2017.
PSU Recruitment through GATE began from 2012. Since then, both PSUs and students have appreciated the medium for recruitment. In the beginning, only a few PSUs participated in the recruitment process. Today more than 35 PSUs recruit through GATE.
|Related Links – For GATE|
|GATE 2018||Click Here|
|GATE 2018 Application Form||Click Here|
|GATE 2018 Admit Card||Click Here|
Now Let’s Understand the PSU
Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) are companies which are owned by Center or State Government. Yet, 49% shares of it are owned by Public and remaining 51% is held by the Government. The functionality of PSUs is just like private firms, as they share their profits with the public. Broadly speaking, the PSUs can be categorized as below:
- Maharatnas: There are 7 Maharathans in all and it included NTPC, Coal India, GAIL, IOLC, BHEL, ONGC, and Steel Authority.
- Navratnas: These are 17 in number and includes Power Grid, HPCL, OIL, VIZAG Steel, Neyveli, BPCL, etc.
- Miniratnas: It is divided in category I and II. Popular one includes WAPCOS, BEML, BSNL, Mishra Dhatu, PEC, etc.
Note: Apart from these there are various other PSUs as well which recruit via GATE.
PSU Recruitment through GATE 2018 in a Nutshell
The recruitment of the candidates on the basis of GATE 2018 score will be done as explained below.
- On the basis of raw or normalized GATE 2018 score, the candidates will be shortlisted.
- The shortlisted candidates will be called for written exam (only applicable in few PSUs).
- Next, the candidates will be called for the Group Discussion and/or Personal Interview round.
Different PSUs have different selection criteria. While most of the PSUs recruit candidates on the basis of their performance in GD and/or PI performance (like BPCL) some give weightage to GATE score, GD and PI performance (like IOCL). The personal interview is the test of the candidate’s technical knowledge, attitude, and presence of mind.
For e.g. BPCL shortlists candidates on the basis their GATE score. Shortlisted candidates then appear for a GD followed by a technical and an HR interview. Each stage is a knockout stage.The GATE score hardly matters in the final selection.
PSU Recruitment through GATE 2018
Here is the list of all the PSU which are recruiting through GATE 2018. As the details will keep on releasing, we will update it in the table below.
|PSU Recruitment through GATE 2018||Application Form Release Date||Discipline||Check Details Here|
|AAI||March 17, 2018||Civil, Electrical, and Electronics||Click Here|
|BPCL||January 05, 2018||Mechanical Engineering||Click Here|
|Power Grid||January 05, 2018||Electrical, Electronics, Civil, and Computer Science||Click Here|
|Vizag Steel||To be Announced||Electrical, Mechanical, and
|SAIL||To be Announced||Mechanical, Metallurgical,
Instrumentation and Mining
|IOCL||January 05, 2018||Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Metallurgy, Chemical, Instrumentation,
Electronics and Communication, Computer Science and Information Technology
|NTPC||January 10, 2018||Electrical, Mechanical, Electronics, Instrumentation, and Mining||Click Here|
|HPCL||January 12, 2018||Mechanical, Civil, Electrical,
Electronics and Telecommunication, Instrumentation, and Chemical
|THDC||January 05, 2017||Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical||Click Here|
|ONGC||To be Announced||Petroleum/Civil/Mechanical/IT/Computer Science/Electronics/etc||Click Here|
|DRDO||To be Announced||To be Announced||Click Here|
|MDL||January 08, 2017||Electrical and Mechanical||Click Here|
|NPCIL||To be Announced||Mechanical, Chemical,
Electrical, Electronics and
Communication, instrumentation, Civil
|NLC||January 06, 2017||Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Instrumentation, Computer, and Mining||Click Here|
|NFL||To be Announced||Mechanical, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Instrumentation, and Computer/IT||Click Here|
|MRPL||To be Announced||To be Announced||Click Here|
|BHEL||January 09, 2017||Mechanical and Electrical||Click Here|
|RCFL||To be Announced||Mechanical, Chemical or Electrical & Instrumentation Engineering||Click Here|
|Haryana Power Utilities||–||–||Click Here|
|Oil India||–||–||Click Here|
|TATA Power||–||–||Click Here|
|Cabinet Secretariat, Govt. of India||–||–||Click Here|
|Coal India||–||–||Click Here|
Criteria to be Satisfied for Applying
The eligibility criteria for each PSU is different. It includes factors like engineering stream, age limit, the percentage in B.E./B.Tech, GATE score.
- Candidates should have an age between 21 to 27 years for general candidates and 21 to 30 years for SC/ST candidates although it can vary for different PSUs like maximum age limit is 33 for SAIL for general category students.
- Candidates must possess a B.Tech, B.E., etc degree but the candidates in the final year of graduation may also apply.
- Candidates need to have all of their academic certificates intact.
- The minimum percentage criteria are highest for Bridge and Roof Co. Ltd which is 70% while Bharti Prasar has no percentage criteria. So, it can be concluded that 70% is graduation makes you eligible for all the PSUs while anything more than 65% makes you eligible for most of the PSUs.
- They have a GATE scorecard of their respective subject paper.
If You are eligible then Apply Online for PSU Recruitment via GATE 2018
The application forms of most of the PSUs are available online. Most of the PSUs release their recruitment notification in the month of September-October but the application process begins after the announcement of the GATE result, i.e. after January. The candidates can apply using their GATE 2018 registration number. The candidates need to fill the registration form and submit it along with the registration fee. The reserved candidates belonging to SC\ST don’t have to submit the application fee.
The candidates can apply using their GATE 2018 registration number. The candidates need to fill the registration form and submit it along with the registration fee. The reserved candidates belonging to SC/ST don’t have to submit the application fee.
Pay Scale Offered by PSUs
It is impossible to state the pay scale of all the PSUs. Generally, most of the PSUs pay well to the candidates and provide various benefits and allowances as well. Round about Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 40,000 is the general pay scale offered by PSUs. The salary also depends on the post given to the candidate. Above the salary, the candidates may also get an HRA and other allowance as well.
Why Go For A PSU Recruitment through GATE 2018?
We have mentioned some merits of PSU Recruitment on the basis of GATE score. However, these are not the only benefits. For each individual, it may mean something different.
- The employees of PSU enjoy job security like any other government employee.
- They get a higher salary of government job at the same level.
- The minimum salary increments in PSUs is fixed irrespective of your performance.
- Promotion is assured irrespective of your performance in the PSU.
- You will receive a pension after retirement.
- There are different allowances as per your post in PSU like medical facilities, travel expenses are covered etc.
- And finally, the respect in the society, if your post is high, cannot be denied.