UPSC Civil Services Examination is conducted to various important positions such as IAS, IPS, IRS etc. However, it is a tough nut to crack. The exam is not only difficult but is exhaustive as well. First, the candidates have to appear for two papers of Prelims and if qualifies need to write series of the Main examination. To prepare properly for such elaborate exam the candidates must know the exam pattern.
The UPSC Civil Services 2019 Exam Pattern for Prelims and Main exam is very different. While prelims is an objective type paper, the Main examination is descriptive in nature. The prelims is conducted to select candidates for the Main exam and the qualifying candidates of the Main exam are recruited for various post. Thus, knowing the syllabus and pattern of such a high-level examination becomes an important aspect for the candidates who are preparing for it. The UPSC Civil Services 2019 Exam Pattern and Syllabus for prelims and mains are being provided here in detail for students so that they can prepare well for the examination.
UPSC Civil Services 2019 (IAS) Exam Pattern, Syllabus
Knowing the detailed syllabus and pattern of any competitive examination is an important aspect of the preparation for it. Civil Services Examination, is no different from the rest. It tests the candidate’s overall personality, his knowledge of current affairs etc. Hence it is important that the candidate be clear about the pattern, marking scheme and syllabus of this exam.
UPSC Civil Services Prelims 2019
The prelims is the first step of Civil Services Examination which needs to be cleared by the candidate to make themselves eligible for the mains which consist of written examination and personal interview. Thus it becomes important that the candidate should be well versed with the pattern, no of questions, syllabus.
UPSC IAS 2019 Prelims Exam Pattern:-
- Nature of Exam – The prelims is a screening test for selecting candidates for the main examination. The marks of it will not be considered during final recruitment.
- Language of the Exam – The question paper will be available in both Hindi and the English language.
- Duration – The candidates will get 2 hours for each Paper.
- Section / Paper – It consists of two papers, General Studies Paper-I and General Studies Paper-Ii. The candidate has to attempt both the papers so as to make himself eligible for evaluation.
- Type of Questions – All the questions in the exam will be of MCQ type.
- Marking Scheme – Each Paper will be of 200 marks. Negative marking of 0.33 for wrongly marked questions will be there. It is essential that the candidate be sure of the answer that they are marking to avoid negative marking.
Note: In order to pass, the candidates need to score 33% marks in Paper II.
UPSC IAS 2019 Prelims Syllabus-
It is essential that the candidate knows the detailed syllabus of prelims so as to be ahead of the rest. Here we are providing the complete syllabus of the prelims exam which they should refer for complete preparation.
Paper I: It tests the candidates in various fields such as current affairs, History and Geography, Indian and World economy etc. Past trends show that major emphasis has been on current affairs happening around the globe. The syllabus for UPSC prelims paper I is as follows:
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic, Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance-Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development-Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change. It does not require any major specialization.
- General Science.
Paper II: It is also known as Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT). It tests the general aptitude of the candidate in areas of Reading Comprehension, Numerical Ability, Graphical Representation, Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning, Decision Making etc of class X level. The syllabus is as follows:
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy like numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc. of Class X level, Data interpretation charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc.
UPSC Civil Services Main 2019
The Main examination is the second part of the Civil Services Examination. It consists of written essay type paper and the personal interview. Those who clear the prelims examination are only eligible for the main examination.It tests the candidate’s in-depth knowledge of the subject and ability to analyze, and take a view on conflicting issues. Let us have a look at the examination pattern and the syllabus for the Main that the candidate should know about.
UPSC Civil Services 2019 Main Pattern:-
- Nature of Exam – The Main examination is a subjective, essay-based paper which tests the candidate’s intellect and assesses his views on general topics happening around him.
- Language of the Exam – Candidates will have the option to answer all the question papers, except the Qualifying Language Papers, Paper-A and Paper-B, in any one of the languages mentioned in the official notification.
- Duration – The total duration of the paper will be 3 hours.
- Section / Paper – It comprises of in total 9 papers. The candidate has to appear for 7 compulsory papers which include 4 papers of General Studies, an Essay paper, a paper on any of the regional languages as chosen by the candidate and English. The remaining two papers will be from optional subjects which a candidate has to choose from the list of 26 subjects as given by UPSC.
The list of optional Subjects from which a candidate has to choose the two subjects are as follows:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Science
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
- Literature of any one of the following languages: Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Odia, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santhali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu and English.
- Type of Questions – The questions in the main examination will be subjective in nature.
- Marking Scheme – The marking scheme of the main examination and the interview is given below for the students.
|Paper A- One of the regional languages to be chosen by candidate||300|
|Paper B- English||300|
|Papers counted for Merit|
|Paper I – Essay||250|
|Paper II – General Studies-I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society)||250|
|Paper III – General Studies -II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)||250|
|Paper IV- General Studies -III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)||250|
|Paper-V General Studies -IV (Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude)||250|
|Paper-VI Optional Subject – Paper 1||250|
|Paper-VII Optional Subject – Paper 2 250 Marks||250|
Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services IAS 2019 Main: UPSC Civil Services Main Examination syllabus is being given below for the reference of the students.
Books to Refer to for UPSC Prelims and Main 2019
Having resourceful books is important for the preparation of UPSC Civil Services Examination. We are providing here the list of some important books that candidates can look for and refer to prepare for the same.
|Books for Prelims||Link to buy||Books for Mains||Link to Buy|
|Geography of India -Majid Hussain||Buy Here||Contemporary Essays by Ramesh Singh||Buy Here|
|Oxford School Atlas||Buy Here||Social Problems in India||Buy Here|
|Certificate Physical And Human Geography||Buy Here||India after Gandhi||Buy Here|
|Environment -by Shankar IAS||Buy Here||History of Modern World||Buy Here|
|Indian Economy- Ramesh Singh||Buy Here||India’s National Security||Buy Here|
|History of Modern India||Buy Here||Lexicons for Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude||Buy Here|
|India’s Struggle for Independence||Buy Here||Pax Indica by Shashi Tharoor||Buy Here|
These books can help you prepare for both prelims and mains in a more better and planned manner. It is advised that aspirants should prepare for this examination with utmost sincerity and discipline along with regular reading of editorials from major newspapers.